View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #434
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Here is where I have to be that guy. We can't act like we have not had pages of discussion on this board about the officer's right to protect his own life and make it back home to his family. We have also said that no one knows what they would do until they are actually in that position. Especially at a school like Parkland because it is not the place where anyone expects this to happen. I say that because even after this shooting, I still don't think anyone expects this to happen at their school.

Despite all of this, I am probably more in agreement with you than not. I do have the expectation that an officer would put his life on the line in most cases. However, I do have some sympathy for this particular officer in this case. Last week must have been a terrible time for him to learn that he was not about that police officer life.

I have sympathy for him as well. I like to think I know how I would react in that situation, but I havent lived it so I cant say for certain.

Where we probably diverge is I think the officer should be held criminally liable for his actions. If we are to excuse an officer for protecting his life and killing an unarmed suspect "accidentally" then I think we have to also hold him accountable for not engaging a suspect and doing his job.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote