View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Raven
College Prospect

Before I jump into my team, I wanted to share some Strat basics, for anyone that may be unfamiliar with the game.

There are other things that I learned about the game, as I got more experienced, but I'll try to bring them up in the flow of this thread so I don't bog everything down with a bunch of rules before ever introducing any of the fun stuff.

Strat basics

Strat is intended to be a Replay league. Player cards are based on the previous year's statistics. So the 2013 card set, released in February 2013, is built upon the 2012 MLB statistics for each player.

The game also has 2 rule sets - Basic, Advanced and Super Advanced. My League uses the Super Advanced rules, and has some custom rules that they've integrated over the years.

Each player card has 2 sides. A Basic side, and an Advanced side. The Advanced side uses Left/Right splits, and the basic side does not.

Here are some examples of the Advanced side of cards. (Edit: Sorry, but this image was huge, so I'll instead just insert a URL)
http://www.strat-o-matic.com/sites/d...ct_full/S1.jpg

Besides L/R splits, each player also has ratings for a number of different categories.
Fielding:
Each player is issued a defensive rating for each position played the previous season. The defensive ratings are 1-5, with 1 being the best. Each player is also issues an error rating (e-rating). OF'ers are issued an arm (ranges from -5 thru +5, i believe). Catchers are also issued a Hold rating, an arm rating and a passed ball rating.

For IF's, the lower (better) the rating, the more Double Plays they can turn, and the less hits they surrender; they also force the lead runner more often on groundouts.

For OF's, the lower (better) the rating, the more easy outs they make (no sac fly/runner advance), and the less hits they surrender.

So JJ Hardy in the above picture has a 2e17 rating at SS. This means JJ is a Very good fielder, and would commit roughly 17 errors over the course of a season.

Fielding ratings are used anytime an "x-check" is rolled on a pitcher's card. So if a GB (ss) X is rolled on a pitcher's card, you'd refer to your SS fielding rating and the fielding chart.

Batters also have ratings at Stealing, Gettting Leads, Bunting, Hit&Run, and running.

Pitchers also have ratings at balk, wild pitch, Starter/Reliever/Closer rating, hold, bunting.

Rolling the Dice
The batting team rolls the die for each at bat. With nobody on based, they roll 3 6-sided die (2 of one color, 1 of another color). If the single die comes up on 1-3, the result is chosen from the Batting card. If the single die comes up 4-6, you refer to the pitchers card. You then add the result of the two remaining die to determine the results.

So if JJ Hardy came up to bat vs a RHP, and rolled a 2, and a 1 and 3. You refer to column 2, result 4 (2.4) in the right hand side of JJ's card. In this case a strikeout.

Sometimes you roll a split. So on Conor Jackson's card, if you rolled a 2.4, you'd see it says HR 1-7, DO 8-20. In this case, you'd then roll the 20d, and if it resulted in 1-7 it's a HR, and 8-20 is a double.

Last edited by Raven : 03-10-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote