View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
Raven
College Prospect

2013 Season
I should first mention that our league plays 102 games. So our IP/AB are prorated * .6296 (102/162).

Unfortunately, I did not fully document the team that I inherited as the expansion team. The team was not very good, and was selected from the draft pool after everyone else had completed the 10 round draft. It's analogous to furnishing a home at the Good Will. Not much to choose from.

I received a 35 man team, plus the Cardinals rookies from 2012. Joe Kelly, Matt Carpenter and Shane Robinson were the only 3 Cardinals rookies I chose to keep. I was probably somewhere around 42 players at this point, but unfortunately I only have 21 of those names. (Regardless, they are insignificant, as they would later be cut).

At this point, the base of my roster looks something like this

Batter
Carpenter, Matt
Dunn, Adam
Ludwick, Ryan
McLouth, Nate
Franklin Gutierrez
Skip Schumaker
Adam LaRoche
Alex Rios
Shane Robinson
Brett Wallace

Pitcher

Buehrle, Mark
Hammel, Jason
Harang, Aaron
Kelly, Joe
Logan, Boone
Saunders, Joe
AJ Burnett
Chris Capuano
Joe Nathan
Matt Lindstrom
Jason Grilli

I received the team in January, so had about 6-7 weeks before the Waiver Draft. First order of business was to get to know the other owners, and start shopping around.

One thing about Strat is the L/R splits are everything. There are guys with only 150 ABs or so, but absolutely crush lefties. These guys have a good amount of value, despite being part-timers, because you can use the full 150 ABs vs lefties, as opposed to splitting the time 50/50 or 70/30, as they do in MLB. Also, with this being a 15 team league, each team is essentially like combining 2 MLB teams, and cutting the remaining 35 players.

These 2 factors combined make it really hard on left handed pitching. There are just so many batters that hit lefties well, that an average or slightly above average lefty is really bad in this kind of league.

Last edited by Raven : 03-10-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote