View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #10
Raven
College Prospect

The rest of the League
I was a bit in the fog about the rest of the league, so will reveal things as I believe I learned about them.

D1
Boston
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Seattle
Toronto (has won multiple championships)

D2
Kansas City
Miami
Pittsburgh
San Diego (Commissioner, has won multiple championships)
San Francisco

D3
Baltimore
Colorado - new owner, experienced at Start. First year in the league
Oakland
St. Louis <--That's me.
Tampa Bay - absolutely loaded team, has been unlucky in the playoffs

Shaping up my Roster
There were certain positions I was desperately lacking at. Particularly up the middle - C, SS and CF were all very weak, and I still needed a 3B.
At this point my depth chart would probably look something like this...
C ?
1B Adam LaRoche
2B Matt Carpenter (but not enough ABs to play full time)
SS ?
3B ?
LF Nate McLouth/Adam Ludwick
CF Franklin Gutierrez/?
RF Alex Rios
DH Adam Dunn

I had some decent (older) SPs. Guys who I felt played above their heads that year, or were too old to keep on an expansion team but might have some trade value. Chris Capuano, Mark Buehrle, Aaron Harang, and AJ Burnett especially.

Franklin Gutierrez was a lefty killer in 2012. He had 150 ABs that year (65 vs L, 85 vs R) and batted .400 vs lefties and just .153 vs R. Toronto and Tampa Bay both made pushes to get him, but Tampa Bay made me a better deal.

I felt Gutierrez was a good role player for a contending team, but just didn't have the full-time value to keep on an expansion team. Not if I could get starters in return for him.

1/17/13
I completed my first trade by sending the part time outfielder in return for Detroit Catcher Alex Avila, and Oakland LH RP Eric O'Flaherty.

Avila batted .243/.352/.384 with 9 HR in 367 AB for Detroit in 2012, but had come off a 2011 where he hit .295/.389/.506 with 19 HR in 464 AB, went to the All Star Game, finished 12th in MVP, and won the Silver Slugger at C.

O'Flaherty had a 1.73 ERA and 1.151 WHIP in 57.1 IP in 2012. A nice lefty addition to my bullpen, and an improvement over my current LHRP Boone Logan.

1/22/13
AJ Burnett was my next move. 3.51 ERA, 1.241 WHIP in 200 IP. A pretty decent starter, and maybe my best, but at 35 years old, he had too much trade value to keep on an expansion team.

I sent AJ to Toronto and received back
David Robertson 2.67 ERA, 1.17 WHIP in 60.2 IP. I really liked Robertson, and he was the primary piece in this deal for me. He had a 1.08 ERA in 66.2 IP for the Yankees in 2011, and I felt he would have the closer job in NY after Rivera retired.
Michael Cuddyer .260/.317/.489 with 16 HR. Plays RF and 1B and has 20 HR power. While he wasn't a stud, I felt him and Robertson were enough alone for Burnett.
Henderson Alvarez 187 IP, 4.85 ERA. Alvarez was a 22 year old SP with 187 IP. I didn't have high hopes forAlvarez, but Chicago was going to cut him anyway, so he was a throw in, so figured i'd take a flyer on the youngster. Can't have enough young arms, right?
Jonny Venters 3.22 ERA, 58 IP, 1.517 WHIP. His WHIP is way too high, but he was another throw in, so figured I'd take the LH RP and likely cut him later.

1/27/13
I was still in need of a CF, and Chris Capuano, like Burnett, was a older SP coming off a good year. Figured I'd move him now, while he still had some value. Capuano was a lefty SP coming off a 198 IP, 3.72 ERA and 1.22 WHIP season for The Dodgers, and he was 33 years old.

I packaged Capuano, Skip Shumaker and a 5th round pick to San Diego for
Michael Bourn - CF, 29, .274/.348/.391 9 HR, 42 SB, 26 2B, 10 3B. Bourn would be my starting Cf and leadoff hitter.
Josh Collmenter - 26, SP/RP, 90 IP, 3.69 ERA, 1.262 WHIP. Just the kind of young hurler that I thought would be a good fit for me. I saw some potential, and was hoping he could break out
Mike Aviles - a run of the mill utility infielder, capable of playing all IF positions.
and a 9th round pick.

Next up is cuts (getting down to 25) and preparing for the Waiver Draft.
Using the above roster, and the trades made, I now know exactly what my 25 man roster was. Everything above, except I cut Jonny Venters.

Current Roster heading into the Waiver Draft
Batter
C - Alex Avila
1B - Adam LaRoche
2B - Matt Carpenter
SS - Mike Aviles/?
3B - Mike Aviles/Brett Wallace/?
LF - Ryan Ludwick/Nate McLouth/Shane Robinson
CF - Michael Bourn
RF - Alex Rios
DH - Adam Dunn/Michael Cuddyer

Pitcher

SP - Mark Buehrle
SP - Jason Hammel
SP - Aaron Harang
SP - Joe Kelly
SP - Joe Saunders
SP - Henderson Alvarez
SP/RP - Josh Collmenter
RP - Boone Logan
RP - Matt Lindstrom
RP - Eric O'Flaherty
RP - Dave Robertson
CL - Jason Grilli
CL -Joe Nathan

Last edited by Raven : 03-16-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote