View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 02:06 PM   #73
Radii
Head Coach

At this point we're 45 minutes into the tournament and the blinds just went up to 50/100. I don't remember how I played but at that point I have 7855 in chips and should be content to get to the end of the rebuy period, add-on and have about 10K in chips starting the 2nd hour when it becomes a normal tourney.

Reading through I played 4 hands in the last level before the rebuy period ended. Free flop w/ 89 against about 5 people, I flop top pair and take it down with a bet. I limp A5s late and flop top pair, turn 2 pair and win a 1000 chip pot with a nice sized turn bet. The other two hands I got in late w/ a suited connector and folded on the flop.

After one hour I am in fine shape, adding on and having 10,655 in chips.

After a short discussion on twoplustwo a couple of weeks ago, I read some advice mentioning a goal of getting to 10K in chips after the add-on, so I felt quite happy having reached that goal. now the rebuy is over, blinds go to 75/150 and I have to quickly tighten up and play a more "normal" game. For those that have read Harrington's books, at my table the shortest stack was 4955 after the break, an M of over 20. The entire table is wide open and has tons of play available. My M is over 40.

For those who haven't read harrington's books, he analyzes the chipstacks in terms of "M" (I forget why M is the letter/variable used, its in the book), which is basically how many more trips around the table one can survive. Add up the blinds and antes and see how much is in the pot before any action. divide your chipstack by that number, and that is your "M". anything over 20 is very large and leaves all options and styles of play very open. 10-20 is another zone where play changes, 5-10 is a danger zone where a lot of "moves" you might normally make have to go out the window, and 5 or less is the red zone where you are nearing all in or fold mode and your survival strategy changes greatly.

Seriously, read these books if you ever play tournaments Most hand analysis I do during any tourneys now, sit n gos or multi-tables, come directly from things I learned in harrington's books.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote