View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #332
Izulde
Head Coach

One thing I forgot to mention. Charles Arnold did indeed win the SF job with the Heat. Miami's season is going to be an interesting one to watch, though I'm wondering if I should've flip-flopped picks, because they'll have a really good starting five once C Fabian Kruger comes back from his torn MCL.

In any event, Halloween Night is a sellout in Los Angeles as we take on the Lakers. We open our title sense with a convincing 105-82 win as Mateen Yeaton explodes for 27 points and 11 rebounds, Zelipe Gama gets 13 points and 16 assists and Rico Wolfe scores 10 bench points.

Unfortunately, we lose 100-91 in our home opener to the Timberwolves, ruining Victor Gipson's 11 points and 13 rebounds, Mateen Yeaton's 26 points and Zelipe Gama's 13 points and 11 assists. Teams are really going to be targeting us this year and like I said, our division is going to be the toughest in the West again this season.

It's a scorefest, but we pull out the 111-100 victory over the Jazz behind all five of our starters scoring at least 14 points, led by Zelipe Gama's 24 points and 11 assists. Marcelino Augusto and Victor Gipson come through with 17 points and 15 rebounds and 17 points and 11 rebounds respectively. Chris Gearheart's atrocious 2 for 15 night helps immensely.

Utah gets revenge on their home court on the front of a back-to-back, winning 106-102, despite 13 points, 15 rebounds and 5 blocks from Victor Gipson, 25 points from Mateen Yeaton, 11 points and 13 assists from Zelipe Gama and 13 bench points from Rico Wolfe. Fortunately, we snap back to flatten Seattle 115-91 as Marcelino Augusto has his first truly good game of the year with 26 points, 13 rebounds and 7 blocks while Mateen Yeaton scores 30. I haven't been happy with Augusto's early-season play and I'm re-thinking my decision to keep him.

Then again, Marcelino Augusto saves our asses with 31 points and 9 rebounds in a harrowing 91-90 win over the Pistons. So maybe it's a case of him needing some more time to warm up before he gets in the groove.

Tzvetan Kishishev isn't getting in any games and we're big man heavy, so I send him to the Timberjacks where he takes over as the starting PF and bring back Tony Parker from the free agent scrap pile to fill our guard void, particularly since Louis Mertens is battling a concussion.

I said the Kings were vastly improved and I wasn't kidding as they play us close in a 114-106 shootout in Sacramento that eventually goes our way. We need three Nuggets with 20+ points to carry the night: Marcelino Augusto (24 points, 11 rebounds, 5 blocks), Mateen Yeaton (21 points) and Zelipe Gama (26 points). David Jackson leads the reserves with 7 points and 10 rebounds.

I'm nervous about the Finals rematch against the Raptors that comes next and I'm shocked when we blow them out 111-96. Mateen Yeaton really got up for this game and dazzled the home crowd and the national audience with 37 points and 11 rebounds. Marcelino Augusto contributed 21 points, Zelipe Gama garnered 16 points and 16 assists and David Jackson romped for 17 points off the bench. Ben Gordon's held to a woeful 2 for 9 night with 5 points and hasn't been the dynamite scorer the Raptors hoped for in the early season.

But then the glee's deflated somewhat as the Bulls rock us 111-98. Only Mateen Yeaton with 30 points and Rico Wolfe with 13 bench points came to play today. Second year pro Andre Moore, who I called the best PG of last year's class, is developing nicely and if he fills out as expected, he'll be a 4* borderline All-Star player.

The Mavericks are good for a 108-87 tonic as Mateen Yeaton and Marcelino Augusto score 29 and 25 points respectively. Rico Wolfe and David Jackson add 10 and 14 points off the bench in the easy win.

Another great game by Marcelino Augusto, who keeps making it harder and harder to justify the idea of trading him with 38 points and 11 rebounds in our 106-90 victory over the Nets. Victor Gipson doubles with 10 points and 14 rebounds and Mateen Yeaton scores 26. Louis Mertens chips in 10 assists from the bench.

San Antonio looks old and tired as we obliterate them 111-76 on Mateen Yeaton's 38 points, 15 points and 11 rebounds from Marcelino Augusto, 10 points and 16 assists from Zelipe Gama and 11 bench points from Rico Wolfe. I think their run as challengers to us in the West is pretty much over. We sweep the doubleheader by neatly topping the Rockets 99-87 behind Marcelino Augusto's 30 points and 13 rebounds and David Jackson's 10 points and 9 rebounds off the bench.

Marcelino Augusto stings the Hornets for 32 points and Luol Deng has his first true appearance of the season in scoring 27 in our 112-95 rout of New Orleans. Zelipe Gama adds 10 points and 13 assists and David Jackson scores 10 bench points.

We finish off the first month of play with a 101-96 victory over the Cavaliers engineered by Marcelino Augusto's 29 points and 14 rebounds. Victor Gipson snags a double-double with 10 points, 12 rebounds and 6 blocks, Louis Mertens leads the second team charge with 12 points and 13 assists and Rico Wolfe contributes 11 bench points.

12-3's enough for a game and a half lead over the surprising Timberwolves. I'm stunned to see Memphis in front of their divison at 11-5, even more shocked to see Dallas 2nd at 10-7.

But the real mindblower is Golden State leading the Pacific at 9-5. That's Isiah Thomas coached, little talent Golden State. At least it's still early in the year.

The Raptors prove me correct and hold an iron grip over the East at 13-4. Atlanta continues to somehow keep winning despite not having much collective talent, presently leading the Southeast at 10-4. The Central's going to be another bruiser of a fight this year, as 4 of 5 teams are either in the lead or a half game out. Only Indiana's off the pace and they're competitive at 6-9.

Miami and the Lakers are both 6-10 and I'm starting to regret dealing away the Purple and Gold's 1st rounder for the Heat's, particularly since Rico Wolfe is being outplayed by Louis Mertens and he and David Jackson are starting to make waves about playing time.

Jackson wants to start at SF over Luol Deng, while Wolfe wants more than the 14 minutes and change a game he's been getting. Our loudmouth 6th man has a point - Deng's shooting a miserable 37.5% so far this season. As for Wolfe, well, I just don't know. Yeah, our resident Belgian's defense is horrible and not likely to get better any time soon, but he makes up for it with his skillful passing and how damn secure he is with the ball.

And overall, I just get this feeling that while we're playing well, something's a little off. Like we're a powder keg waiting to explode, but maybe it's just my imagination.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote