View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #73
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

1.19 -- Our push for a strong second half took a major hit today. Engel Ewangin has achilles tendonitis and will miss 5-6 weeks, while Sutanto strained a groin muscle and we won't see him back for a little over a month either. We'll have to start Oropka now and will have no substitutes up front, leaving us quite limited in attack. It's been a largely charmed season injury-wise, but that all just changed.

I thought of bringing a player or two up from the youth team, but decide against it for now. Our strategy will be to try to get an early lead, then switch to a 5-3-1-1 to protect it.

1.24 @ Persip(4-2-7, 9th) Our best match of the year overall was probably a 4-0 shellacking we handed out in the first contest, so I'm hopefully we can extend our two-game winning streak in the league even with the injuries. We're slight favorites despite being on the road here. Persibom visits Jakarta Timur in what could be a tricky contest, and Perssin visits 4th-place PSKT who is just two points behind them. We're weakened, but it's still a chance to pick up more ground potentially.

We control the action well early, but don't get a lot in the way of shots.

11' -- Yarangga has a freekick straight on, hits it weakly to the keeper.

18' -- Perssin score to take a 1-0 lead on PSKT.

23' -- Nice passing play, Herlan to Oropka in the middle good look but it's blocked wide by Kertadnya. That's the kind of thing we need to capitalize on with this group.

Meanwhile, PSKT equalize for a 1-1 score.

31' -- Saragih finds Bayhaqi about 10 yards out, not enough angle on that and it's blocked away. These poor finishes are more of a problem now that we don't have our full group, we need to put them away. Corner comes to Muda at the near post but he can't get his shot through traffic.

37' -- Yellow for Yarangga and they're attacking more, I switch to counter for a bit.

HT -- We've held the ball for 59%, and have six shots to none, but we need to score. It will probably only take one.

Still 1-1 with Perssin and PSKT, and Persibom doesn't play until tomorrow.

We're still on the defensive more often than not and they get a couple of early corners to start the half, not what I wanted to see from us.

56' -- PSKT scores again, and they're up 2-1 on Perssin! Way to go, guys!

58' -- Oh wow. After our first corner of the half is cleared out, we inbound, work it around, Kombo fires a cross from deep -- it's too close to the goal ... it drops in just under the bar and that's going to count a score! An incredible and completely unintentional shot from close to 40 yards out at the near sideline, and we take a 1-0 lead. That's Kombo's first goal, and all I can say is I don't believe what I just saw.

I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. We switch to the 5-3-1-1 with three in middle defensively and look to hold on to this. Prasetyo on for Oropka.

67' - Dangerous cross but Setia punches it out. They have yet to attempt an actual shot. We come back the other way, nearly lose it, get it back, Yogi to Saputra up the left side, two man game with Herlan gets it back to him, awkward angled volley ... it's just inside the right post, very nice shot there and we're up 2-0! Big play there, and now we should be able to take it easy, I tell the team to really tighten up the back and run clock.

76' -- Freekick from out to the left, nice angled line drive by Yusuf and Setia has to make a diving stab to prevent a score. We don't have many fresh legs on that bench but Ningmabin is one, coming on for Herlan.

Meanwhile, Perssin is just 15 minutes away from what would be their first loss of the season.

79' -- Hermawan tries a blast from the edge of the area on a freekick, but it's right into our defensive wall and just bounces back.

81' -- You idiot .. I've already told Yarangga to back off but he didn't listen. Second yellow and he's sent off. That'll hurt us. Setia makes a routine save on the long freekick.

83' -- Their first shot that's not from a freekick, from Nugroho just inside the area, we've some traffic in front and he hits it right to Setia.

92' -- Muda almost heads it into our own goal off a corner. He then heads the next corner right across our goal mouth. I think he's on drugs or something right now. Good thing we aren't playing anybody good today.

FT -- We hold on for a 2-0 win! Kombo's freak accident of a goal makes him player of the match. We converted our non-chances and missed our clear shots at the goal. I don't know what to call that, but I like the fact that we only allowed three shots on the road, even against such a poor club.

Perssin did in fact lose 2-1 to PSKT, which moves PSKT up to third. We're three points up on them, four up on Perssin, and I'm thinking just now we might able to survive these injuries. Persibom, meanwhile, blitzed Jakarta Timur to a 3-0 lead midway through the first half, then held on to win 4-3, maintaining their three-point bulge over us.

Yarangga is of course suspended for our next match. Given the circumstances(match well in hand, I'd told him to back off his tackles, etc.) I have no choice but to fine one of my favorite players a week's salary. Such things simply can't be tolerated. He thinks it's unfair but fortunately we're in the in middle of a strong stretch of results and he's not raising a major stink about it. It's good timing for us to get Patrick Adie back -- he's not Yarangga obviously, who is our best midfielder, but it's better than having to go with a hodgepodge formation.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote