View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #81
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2.15 @ Persibom(11-2-5, 2nd) I'm hoping this is the match where we stop copying the results from the first half of the schedule, as Persibom handed us our only loss of the year(2-1). With their recent form, or lack thereof I should say, it's a distinct possibility. Once the favorites to run away with the group, our hosts have lost four of five and we are now 4-7 favorites to win today.

Yesterday, their coach Achmad Sukisno asserted that we aren't really playing that well, it's just a lack of effort on the part of our opponents that allowed us to take the lead. The Oksibil Soccer Paper asked me for my comment on the matter, and I tell them he's being ridiculous in disrespecting both what we've done but also our First Division opponents. Incidentally, the Indonesian Soccer Review is now referring to me as 'talented' in their preview summaries, which I find rather hilarious.

As if this game wasn't important enough, now there's more for them to write about. Frankly I think Sukisno would be better served finding a way to get his squad playing like they were earlier in the year(only 1 loss in their first 13 contests) than criticizing our run of success. So it seems I've got my first little coaching rivalry brewing here.

On our end of things, Ewangin is out and while we expected Bayhaqi back, he's taken longer than expected and it will be another couple of days or so before he's ready. Persibom has three players down as well, but we'll have to go with our makeshift attacking unit(Oropka/Sutanto/Yogi) and the usual plan of stealing an early lead, defending it late with a five-wide line if needed.

Saragih and Saputra responded well to the revenge angle sounded before the match.

8' -- Saragih up the right side of the area to Herlan, he tracks it down, has time and room to wait, and centers ... Yogiis there and an easy score into the right side of the net! 1-0, we jump on them right away.

We continue to control the action in midfield more often than not, but I don't turn up the pressure as we have the lead on the road -- no point in giving them a chance to attack when playing on the counter is working for us.

17' -- Putra gets a bit of room just outside the area, Ferminus goes up and gets it easily.

A few minutes later, something lit a fire under them and they stepped up the pace dramatically, playing more like the club I remember from earlier in the year. I'm glad we got on the board when we did, because all of a sudden they are living in our third.

32' -- Another shot from outside, this one's way off by Mondow.

37' -- Yogi to Oropka, looks clear for a one-on-one but it's tackled away at the last instant! Thought we had a great chance there, but that was a heck of play by their defense it must be said. We bring it back out, [/b]Yogi[/b] has two men on him at the edge. He wheels right around them for a look and places a shot just under the bar!! Incredible goal, maybe the best I've seen from him and he's had some good ones!! It's 2-0 now even though they've controlled the last 15+ minutes of this match.

FT -- After another freekick is way off, we head to the break with a comfortable two-goal lead. Oropka's out for Patay and we go to five at the back to protect it.

They continue to dictate but not as one-sided as it was, and we're giving them nothing cheap which is the main thing.

54' -- One desperation extreme angle shot hits the left post, then they get it to the corner of the box but we block it out for a corner. That's the most dangerous they've looked, but we had enough bodies packed in there that nothing was able to get through. Header at the edge of the box off the corner, Ferminus leaps to the ball and is able to knock it away, that could easily have scored. Muda misjudges the next one, they head it from the far post and Ferminus is there but Yani pounces on the rebound before anyone can react. 2-1, they just punished us on those corners.

56' -- Yogi has a chance just inside the area, but he can't quite float it over the arms of Saka who makes a nice play to deny our star the hat trick.

61' -- We've held it in most of the last few minutes, and a seemingly innocent play ends strangely. Saragih crosses from the right, there's a crowd in the box and Saka can't get there, it bounces in for a goal! It's quickly disallowed though as Yogi is called for pushing Saka, he wasn't close enough to the ball for it to matter in my opinion -- that was a total fluke but it should still count. I can't get the officials to see my side of the case though, and it won't stand.

63' -- Yogi from just outside the area, well defended but he turns and absolutely rifles a line drive, Saka just barely gets there with a nice diving save -- I don't know if I've seen Yogi this sharp in terms of finishing for a whole match, he would have three goals, maybe four against most sides. That ball was just a frozen rope less than a foot off the ground, and it looked like a sure thing.

65' -- Jarot has a shot from the right side, but it's an extreme angle, Ferminus is right there ... and he misses it!! It's in, and we're tied up again at 2!! I can't believe and neither can he ... that's an automatic save for a poor keeper, it was well hit but almost right at him, he just needed to grab it and he missed the ball.

Worst part about this might be that Yani and Jarot had one goal combined on the year coming in.

67' -- They work it around, we nearly take it away a couple times but never get control of it. Yoku goes around two of our defenders on the right, Prasetyo goes out to cut him off and the pass is to Putra at the edge of the box. Patay is a half step late, Ferminus gets his hands to the ball but doesn't get quite enough of it and it's in! Two goals in three minutes, and all of a sudden we trail 2-3!

Well, we'll have to try and fight for possession and attack more, we've shown great fight all year long and now we need to rally again. We get nowhere with it though.

76' -- Looks like we have a good run up the seam by Sutanto but they cut him off. Yogi trails and tries to float one in from 35 ... not a bad try but from that distance it needs to be perfect and it's left of the goal. Adie's on for Herlan to give us fresh legs.

85' -- Mondow to Putra who is a step ahead of Prasetyo, and he angles it nicely from 12 out for another score. Well, they are just carving us up, no two ways about it. [b]2-4]/b].

90' -- Putra gets another crack, Ferminus with the save this time.

FT -- A couple guys seemed not to appreciate me singling out Muda, who was responsible for a couple of the goals. It was true and necessary though. Once Persibom turned it on about midway through the first half, nothing we did was able to stop them. Yogi and Herlan were fabulous but as a team, they were just better and that's the plain truth.

Interestingly, Sukisno stated that we were fantastic and admitted he got it wrong, saying I'm doing a great job at Persigubin. So that little brouhaha should go away.

Persibom retakes the top spot now, and we are four points clear of Persisko in the runner-up position. We definitely still firmly control our own destiny, and none of closest competitors have been on a particularly fine run lately, but as a result of losing today we've still got work to do in order to wrap up qualifying.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote