View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

August 15, 2009

Tottenham at Arsenal

I was hoping my debut match would be at home, and maybe a bit easier, but no such luck. I am thrown right into the fire for my opening match.

As I put together my lineup, I notice a few things that are quite concerning. I outlined what I thought was going to be my starting 11 earlier when I initially reviewed my squad. Well, two of my projected starts on the defensive line are dealing with injuries and are out for this match.

Even more disturbing is the fact that my star striker, Jermain Defoe took a sudden drop from 3.5 stars to 2.5 stars in a months time. I have to scramble to put together a new lineup and here is what we go with for the first match (with star ratings)

GK Gomes (3.5) – Oh sweet, he dropped a half a star as well. WTF is going on??
DL Assou-Ekotto (3)
DC Bassong (3)
DC King (3.5)
DR Kaboul (3)
ML Modric (4.5)
MC Palacios (4)
MC Huddlestone (3)
MR Lennon (2.5)
ST Pavyluchenko (3)
ST Crouch (3)

We will come out in our 4-4-2 with a defensive mindset and hope for at least a draw, maybe even steal something here even though we are 3-1 dogs.

14 min: Arsenal puts the pressure on us early and often, finally getting the first strike of the match. Nicholas Bendtner drills one from just outside the big box. 0-1

32 min: We continue to be under the gun, but Gomes bails us out with a few pretty nice saves. Up until this point we haven't even made a serious threat on their goal. We finally get something going....I don't know exactly what, but a couple of headers in front of the goal, Arsenal looked all confused and then I see the ball bounce off one of their heads and into the goal! 1-1 on a total fluke, but I'll take it!

I find it funny that my guys are celebrating their asses off and I tell them to calm the fuck down, we didn't even score that one.

40 min: Our showboating pissed Arsenal off and they go back on a serious attack. Lucky for us they kick a few wide. Then a throw in from the side and about 8 people go up for the header and Assou Ekotto gets called for a penalty. I scream at the refs, I scream at the players, I scream at my monitor. Of course Bendtner drills it for his second goal. 1-2.

62 min: I need to get a goal back so I switch to an attacking mindset in the second half. MY guy gets bulldozed in the box and I know that has to be a penalty. Instead Arsenal punts the ball out for a throw in and no penalty called. I am furious now.

76 min: I bring in a couple sets of fresh legs. Dafoe gets a chance at Striker and Niko Kranjar comes in at MC.

78 min: A golden opportunity. One of the few threats we have....a big shot deflects off the Keeper right onto the foot of one of my guys...not even sure who. It is just him and the keeper in the little box right in front of the goal. My guy kicks it right into the keeper's chest. Heartbreaking.

84 min: I switch my tactics to Overload and try to get that equalizer.

93 min: We work it around for one last chance it seems. We get a clean shot from inside the box and it bounces off the crossbar and that is all she wrote.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote