View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #400
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

NCAA Tournament- Second Round, Michigan Region, Part 1

This report focuses on the top half of the Michigan bracket. There were 2 really good games, of which either one could have been the game of the pod, but I'm going with:

(12) San Diego St. vs. (5) Kentucky -- In reality, we know that San Diego St. was better than a 12 seed during the 2013-2014 season, and Kentucky, in my opinion was underseeded as an 8. But San Diego St. vastly underachieved in my WIS season. Kentucky jumped out to a 7-1 and 20-11 leads early, but San Diego St. wasn't going anywhere. The Aztecs took their first lead at 30-29 with about 6 minutes to go in the half. The game stayed close the rest of the way, tied 43 at halftime. The second half was much the same, as neither team could build a lead of more than 5. With Kentucky leading 77-73 with about a minute and a half to go, San Diego St. took over. Xavier Thames hit a bucket, then Dwayne Polee hit a three pointer, and Thames made 2 free throws to give the Aztecs an 80-77 lead. Kentucky had one more chance, but Aaron Harrison missed a three pointer and Thames stole the rebound away from Dominique Hawkins as San Diego St. held on to win 80-77. Thames and Harrison were the leading scorers for their teams, with 23 each.

Other Pod Games

(1) Michigan- 75, (16) Robert Morris- 66 -- This game was much closer than the Wolverines would have liked, tied at 40 at halftime, but Michigan built a 13 point lead in the second half to win fairly easily. Karvel Anderson had 17 points for Robert Morris and Glenn Robinson III had 14 for Michigan.

(8) N. Carolina- 72, (9) Arizona St.- 70 -- This would have been the game of the pod if not for the Kentucky/San Diego St. classic. Marcus Paige had 25 for the Tarheels, and Arizona St. was led by Jahii Carson who had 16.

(13) Minnesota- 78, (4) GW- 67 -- A bit of a shocker here, although GW did fade a bit down the stretch. The Colonials didn't help themselves by turning the ball over 15 times in this one. Andre Hollins led Minnesota with 17 points and GW had 3 scoring leaders, each with 14 points: Maurice Creek, Patricio Garino, and Isaiah Armwood.
collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote