View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #26
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

#15. To the Moon
Freebird Games
Adventure

I don't know what to do with this game. I've had it as high as #3 on my list and as low as #15. I keep debating it over and over in my head. Is To the Moon even a game?

Using the RPG Maker software to make a decidedly non-RPG game isn't new. Horror games have been embracing that for a long time, and there's a large contingent of horror games from the RPG Maker. So getting a non-RPG from the software isn't unheard of. Doing a relatively non-game game certainly is.

To the Moon is a very short experience that's more art than video game. It takes roughly 3-4 hours to complete. There are some mock-video game moments, and a few items where you have to move around in order to find items that resonate with your location, and then assemble them with a puzzle.

So in that sense, I suppose To the Moon counts. Technically.

Now I'm am intentionally keeping this overview very very spoiler free. If you are thinking of picking up To the Moon and trying it out, then don't look it up, don;t research it, and don't read the wikipedia page. Just grab it and commit. Commit

For me it was one of the most visceral and moving experiences in video gaming in the last 5-6 years. That experience makes this thing hit my chart so easily that I thought it might wind up in the top 5 . I dropped it a bit on reflection, but it's still good. (now even though I had it as high as #3, it won't get near my top 2. Both of those games are go good that they are in contention for my top 10 overall video games of all time, and are definite entries for #20) the music from this indy number is so startlingly good that I picked up the soundtrack. It's a good game.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-25-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote