View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #714
Radii
Head Coach

-- Berthet and Fryers are almost ready to come back, that'll help the defense a ton. For our next match though I promote DC Steve Dempsey up from the youth squad. If he has to play he has to play. *gulp*

-- All it took was one goal for Constantino. Morale up from Very Poor to Good immediately.

November 24th, 2018

Ipswich(2-1-10, 19th) @ Watford (0-5-8, 20th)

Ahhh, a team on our level. But its still a road game. They're 5:4 favorites, making us 7:4 to get a win today. 7 years in the Championship together have given us a 4-2-8 record lifetime against Watford. Last year we tied 1:1 on the road and won 2:1 at home.

GK: Murphy
D: Kirkland/McKerr/Brown/Adriano
DMC: Yebda
MC: Mariga/Donnelly
AMC: Kang
ST: Khan/Constantino

Adriano starts at AMR, McKerr at DC. I almost put Gordon in at AMC instead of Kang just to keep them rotating a bit but Kang is playing leaps and bounds better this year... I keep Kang in here. I wonder if I should play differently against a bad team here, but I go ahead and start out in the same counter attacking strategy that hopefully we're becoming more comfortable with.

16': A nice attacking move for us, Donnelly to Mariga who quickly puts it ahead for Kang who is charging in from the right. His shot is considered a clear cut chance... but he just sends it really weakly at the keeper. Poor poor shot.

17': They get forward, a ball goes into the penalty area but its long and over everyone. McKerr is there and should just clear it away, but he controls it poorly... one of their forwards attacks him and steals the ball... he's able to get a free run on Murphy, but Murphy goes down and turns the ball away as he tries to shoot. Whew, Murphy saves the day there.

25': A counter attack for us... McKerr sends a long ball down the left... Constantino is first to it about 35 yards out, and he's got a speed edge on their defense. He pushes forward as their defense collapses, lays a ball off to the trailer, Kang... who takes a really really bad shot, another super weak effort right at their keeper. Whats up dude?

36': We build up on offense and here Kang takes a much stronger shot, its from 20 yards out and the keeper has to dive to turn it away. Corner is cleared but we recover and begin a slow buildup on offense... in the end we can't do anything though, they intercept a pass and clear.

42': They build up on offense, sending it out left over a couple passes, a ball goes into the area, Brown seems like he has a chance to clear it away but misses a header, it comes down to ST Grimes and he puts it into the net... 0-1 Ick!

HALF: Not what we want to see here... we need 3 points dammit. They shoot 10 times to our 6, stats are pretty even but as usual we're not doing well in the air winning just 46% of our headers... do I tell our guys to attack? These guys aren't better than us, could pressure them into mistakes? I go for it, if we lose to Watford we're pretty screwed, so we need to sell out here to get this goal back.

62': Well this just isn't working. All the highlights are theirs. I sub Gordon in for a tired/ineffective Yebda. Gordon AMC, Kang MC, no DMC.

78': We get a couple attacking highlights that go nowhere.

79': They get a corner, we head it away. One of their men recover but Constantino charges and tackles it away. He takes it and begins a run down he right side, Khan sprinting down the middle... they have a central defender heading over to constantino's side and he sees Khan open and onside. He sends a long pass forward from 45 ish yards away. Its perfect!! Amazing long ball from our Poacher. Khan controls it well, is into the area and he beats the keeper easily! Great, great effort there. 1-1

82': We try to strike again, Kang with a nice through ball ahead to Khan, its a clear cut chance but the keeper is able to get down and make the save, turning it behind for a corner. Corner is cleared easily.

There's a lot of back and forth in the final 5 minutes but very little actual shooting. We walk away from this one with a point, something we shouldn't be too unhappy about on the road, but damn I wanted 3 here today.

Watford 1 : 1 Ipswich

Man of the Match: Stuart Kirkland (7.9)
Goal: Khan (7.0)
Assist: Constantino (6.8)
Notables: Murphy (7.0), Mariga (7.0)

As Wolverhampton lose today we gain a point on 17th. Wolves in 17th with 13 points, Nottingham Forest 18th with 10 points, we're 19th with 8 points. I scroll ahead. I expect us to be in dead last when January rolls around.

Next 7 matches: Arsenal, Man City, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Nottingham Forest, Chelsea

Or, just looking at their rankings: 5th, 9th, 4th, 3rd, 8th, 18th, 1st.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote