View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 03:41 PM   #39
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I guess I'll throw this thought out here:

But does anyone suspect that the main reason that Republicans like Mitch McConnell are calling for max sanctions against Russia is to help drive up energy costs in the US in which later they will blame Biden for?

I normally stray far from these political statements and conversations here but this is a little to over the top for me.

Seems to me most conservative voices are asking why the administration isn't quickly acting to reduce gas prices (reversing course on Keystone, allow more drilling domestically, etc). I would gain a ton of respect for the administration if they would do these things.

I have even heard suggestions that we use domestic strategic reserves. This seems a bit reckless to me though as should the proverbial crap hit the fan and we (US) be dragged into a major conflict the side with the most oil to fuel their forces will be at an advantage. I am not a warhawk but if we are dragged into a major military conflict I want our boys to have every advantage possible.

It seems that producing more energy/oil domestically ASAP would benefit us at home and militarily with very little immediate cost. I think we can table the environmental arguments over such a policy for a few years while we maximize our ability to respond to a world wide conflict that would likely pit us against China, North Korea, Russia, and Iran at minimum.

I pray it never comes to something like that but I want us to be as prepared as possible and hopefully deter such an outcome by our preparedness. I support Biden as our Commander in Chief and his decisions thus far in this conflict despite my disappointments in his performance politically/policy decisions thus far in his term. I hope we will not hold back the SWIFT lever if it comes down to our (US) vote.

Last edited by BigDPW : 02-26-2022 at 03:43 PM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote