View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 04:48 PM   #49
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Keystone wasn't scheduled to start pumping until 2030.

The revised proposal which eliminated the potential for emissions by powering it with alternative sources of energy would have added 7-8 years to the project.

If it hadn't been canceled by executive order, it was scheduled to come online next year.

However, it's a dead project now. I don't think it could be restarted at this point without the government paying for what private investment was financing.

I know it isn't popular to talk about energy independence, especially since Trump is a big proponent. But I don't think it's out of bounds to say that without Europe's dependence on Russian exported energy, this wouldn't have happened.

The US and Europe are doing a great job reducing emissions - from the US and Europe. A lot of that is being moved to Asia and the atmosphere doesn't really care where it comes from.

Renewables have their place, but we don't have the advances in battery storage necessary to rely on them right now. Doesn't mean we stop trying, but the cost of insecure energy, well, it means that terrible people like Putin have a lot more power than they should have.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote