View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #3680
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
In fairness to the conspiracy theorists though, some of them become that *after* going through the critical thinking process. I.e., they'll say that they used to be sheep or whatever until they realized 'what was really going on'. I know a lot of people, here and elsewhere, who are as smart as me or smarter and have done their darndest to analyze the facts as best as they can, and come to wildly different conclusions.

People just think differently, and there's no way to completely eliminate the effects of our inborne biases.

In other news, latest small study though we have bigger ones ongoing obviously, has found that hydroxychloroquine had no discernible clinical effect on coronavirus patients. Which again reinforces my suggestion that it's harmful to be giving out therapeutics that actually aren't proven yet to be effective, instead of preserving them for the diseases they are demonstrably useful against.

A friend of mine is an incredibly intelligent conspiracy theorist. His problem is everything has to make sense and fit in a box, so to speak, so it's almost impossible for him to accept coincidences. We've had discussions where I try to explain with the near limitless number of events going on at any given time that it's a probability that you're going to see 2 or more unrelated events that seem related (coincidences). The thing is, he gets it, but his brain still isn't wired to accept it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote