View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #690
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, from here on out, it's just minor pieces of the puzzle. I think my biggest issue will be where I am willing to actually pay.

34 players signed right now
13 players we are lead bid on right now
7 draft picks at the moment, trying to deal that way down
4 RFAs I intend to re-sign (P EdFred, RB Gilmore, T Roberts, WR Slade)
--
55 players, more or less

We have $110M in cap space... veteran minsal is 3.62M

So... money-wise, here's my thinking:

-have some guys who are not great players, but are great fits...NT Neill, LB Shockey, LB Brotzmann -- I figure I have to pay these guys 2x minsal or so, where I might not be willing to do so, absent this weird peak-right-now plan

-I have real offers in on a few new free agents, but really want cohesion guys out there mostly... so this year won't be much for the 8th year 52/52 guy, beyond the DE we just signed... I'll be trotting out my familiar faces wherever I can this season

-So, the obvious play, I think, is to target high-personality chemistry fits who already have starts enough to activate their effects... and sign those guys to sit on the bench this year. My guess is I will have 3-6 such guys this season, more or less taking the place of the bottom side of a standard rookie class.

-This season is supposed to be "it" but realistically, it's also the start of a window... maybe one that we can keep open as long as Teddy sticks around at QB (remember, he wasn't a rookie when he signed with us, he's now a 10th year player)

If Banks can help inject some real life into our pass rush, this team could actually be pretty serious on defense. Stay the course, pretty conservative (even through we do pass a lot) on offense, and play good D... and just let the era of good feelings carry us to the promised land.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote