View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

[u]2015 Early Stages and Free Agency[u]

We have a curious retirement – DE Ray Edwards. Seriously, pretty much every big dollar move we have made on veteran players has resulted in shit with this team. Our $22m to Edwards yielded 9.5 sacks over two seasons, and then a one way ticket out of town. Awesome.

0 – Send former 6th or 7th round pick to European league (WR Tommy Beard)

Not as much cap space as last year here – we have 31 signed, and about $61m in cap space. Our 25% limit is $42m unspent, so we have space-- but not a ton of it.

2 – Hire HC at request, hire other staff during last stage
0 – Use no rookie interviews
12 – Use allocation of draft picks
10 – Implement custom gameplans at start of season
0 – Implement staff-controlled depth chart for full season
3 – Set injury rate at 150
0 – Leave 25% of cap unused as of start of season
4 – 5% cap players: S Byrd, QB Brady
–
31 AP used, 19 remaining

Amidst our RFAs, we have a number of 4th year guys, so to really lock guys down we may need to use the 2 AP “unrestricted” deals. Not the most cost effective, but the alternative is to sign them to 1yr requests and then have to face the open market next year.

0 – Sign RFA player to his requested one year contract (FB Gati)
0 – Sign RFA player to his requested one year contract (S Perez)
0 – Sign RFA player to his requested one year contract (FB Gray)
2 – Sign RFA player on an unrestricted new contract (WR Briggs)
2 – Sign RFA player on an unrestricted new contract (FS Wiggins)

So, 4 AP spent, and we are up to 35 players signed. K Stryzinski wants a 1yr deal – we'll wait to see where we are first, that's an easy one to land in a late round and fill up for a few years.

We look into free agency. I want to keep QB Brohm, but will have to wait if I want to lock him up for three minsal years- he's asking for a shade too much to listen to that deal now. Past that, we need to add a couple of players along the defensive front, and past that we are basically free to look for value more then immediate “need.” Of course, this is a team that won only 6 games, so I shouldn't be acting like the roster is all set. We're just close to legal already, even at only 35 total players.

0 – Offer FA player 8th year+ requested contract 1yr no bonus (re-sign LB Black)
0 – Offer FA player 8th year+ requested contract 1yr no bonus (re-sign QB Brohm)
1 – Offer FA player a one year, no bonus contract (re-sign TE Onobun)
1 – Offer FA player a one year, no bonus contract (re-sign WR Lecuona)
1 – Offer FA player his requested contract (re-sign LB Batten)
1 – Offer FA player his requested contract (re-sign DE Hughes)

Nothing too exciting here, DE Hughes is the only guy looking for a little real money. I'm looking around for open free agents worth pursuing – and not finding a ton of candidates. None of the top tier look to be worth the cap space, so I end up pursuing a relatively cheap WR

2 – Offer FA player a flat contract with at least 25% bonus (WR Deon Butler)

We go from here, with 10 AP used so far, and see who is willing to come aboard. Happily, everyone is signed in a few stages, leaving us some flexibility. My thinking is to sign my last free veteran, and in the later stages find another decent vet who is looking for 3yrs, and sign him to his requested deal (for 1 AP).

1 – Offer FA player his requested contract (re-sign DT Hargrove)
1 – Offer FA player a one year, no bonus contract (re-sign CB Gene Prior)

Not as exciting as I had envisioned,to be candid. Anyway, we wrap up early FA and head into another draft without any interviews.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote