View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #39
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, so I might be re-intrigued by this. We extended LT Bernstein, and he will be a 5% player for the foreseeable future. Probably making three for us, unless we cap-out to avoid it (which will become a more legitimate option in the coming years, too). So, I'm trying to cash that momentum into another season fairly quickly here.

I'm not carrying many dinosaurs, so no shock that we lose nobody to retirement. We start 2018 with 35 players signed. That's fine. What's interesting is that we only have $59m in cap space – and the 25% limit is just over $48m. So, we have fairly little room to move here already, and that's before we add 18 more players to the roster. Intriguing – we may actually be facing cap casualties as soon as this year. That postseason choke last year might end up looming pretty large, if we can't bring ourselves to get a win

We have no first round draft pick this year, so our draft cost will be a shade less than it would have been. I'm plugging in my guess that we will use 90% of the cap this year, and come up with this AP plan:

2 – Hire HC at request, hire other staff during last stage
0 – Use no rookie interviews
6 – Use allocation of draft picks
10 – Implement custom gameplans at start of season
0 – Implement staff-controlled depth chart for full season
3 – Set injury rate at 150
9 – Leave 10% of cap unused as of start of season
4 – 5% cap players: T Bernstein, QB Brady
-
34 used, 16 remaining

2 – Sign RFA player on an unrestricted new contract (C Robertson, 4yrs $38m)
2 – Sign RFA player on an unrestricted new contract (DE Schwartzhaupt, 3yrs $2.9m)
0 – Sign RFA player to his requested one year contract (DT Tubbs, TE Reid, SS Gonzalez)
2 – Offer FA player a flat contract with at least 25% bonus (CB Writer)
0 – Offer FA player 8th year+ requested contract 1yr no bonus (LB Batten, QB Brohm, DT Soliai)
1 – Offer FA player a one year, no bonus contract (CB Corner)
1 – Offer FA player his requested contract (DE Aufedenkampe)

Okay, that's 11 guys re-signed for 8 AP. Brings us to 46 players, with 10 draft picks coming. That gives us a chance to move around in the draft and perhaps do another trade-down deal. Anyway, we have a nearly legal roster in hand (short a kicker) and are on our way to another season.

And yes, I will comment here that this team seems rapidly moving toward one of my usual styles of play – just get your talent from the draft/rookies, and develop from within, mostly by re-signing my own guys and building cohesion. I did look in the open FA market, but the best fits out there within my price range didn't seem to add much value beyond what I'd get from my own guys. So, that might be where we land for a while.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote