View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #395
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Again, my point was more about jumping to a conclusion that you knew more about the situation than the person treating thesloppy. Maybe the diet is terrible, but the person recommending it met with thesloppy and had some reason to recommend it. We can make all sorts of declarative statements that may or may not fit the individual circumstance. Your mileage may vary.

That kind of breaks down my complaints about Western-style lowest-common-denominator approach to medicine. An MD is always going to make recommendations based on what works for the most people the most of the time....which sounds perfectly logical until you know you're outside of those lines, but your MD has to finish coloring in each and every picture before he can actually address your personal issues. Comparatively, an ND is going to make recommendations based on who-the-hell-knows-what, unique to every individual practitioner...but I'm going to get personalized serviced tailored to my specific problems, from the get go.

My ND spends 20 minutes giving me personally tailored acupuncture that I have absolutely no faith in, as part of her practice. My MD spends the first 15 minutes of literally every appointment staring into his computer, very obviously trying to remember who the fuck I am and what my problems are. Which one's a quack? Which one's giving less respect to me and my issues? My personal healthcare journey has rendered any kind of judgment based on a person's certification as useless. Someone being a 'good' doctor or a 'bad' doctor generally has very little to do with their training (especially in the case of GPs), and much more to do with their manner and ability to communicate. Your mileage may certainly vary.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote