View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

30 April 2016

2015/16 Midland League Premier Division: Second Half

The fixtures came fast and furious during the festive season, and we never seemed to find our footing. We lost badly at home to Highgate United, who were in the midst of a run of sixteen games without defeat that didn't end until mid-February.

We seemed to snap out of our funk with a dramatic victory against Stourport Swifts, grabbing all three points with a goal late in stoppage time. But a draw with bottom-of-the-table Brocton and an ugly loss away to Quorn had me scratching my head again.

My solution came to me in the form of some player recommendations from my back room staff and, their ranks fortified by some new arrivals I'll describe later, the Scholars reeled off a string of seven matches in the league without a loss. A big win at Coleshill Town on 6 February put us fourth, and a week later we moved into third when we took three points from Sporting Khalsa. Then, on the 16th, Highgate finally tasted defeat and, when we scored three late goals to send off Heanor Town, we moved back into second place. The lads' fine form earned me the league's Manager of the Month prize for February.

The biggest crowd of the season, 424 strong, came to Holywell Park to watch us face Hereford Town in a battle between the league's top two teams. The Bulls, who pay their players a total of £6300 per week, were clearly the class of the league. They earned their 2-1 victory, which put them 18 points clear with four rounds to play and clinched their Midlands Premier championship.

We held off Sporting Khalsa the rest of the way and secured our second place finish. Our 64 goals were fourth most in the league, and only one team--the champions--conceded fewer than the 36 we allowed.

Goodbye
DC Jack Koczalski
D/M Luke Killner
AMR Ryan Johnston

With our regular center halves proving to be both durable and resolute, Koczalski couldn't force his way onto the team sheet. He wanted to leave, so I let him. He finished the season with Welwyn Garden City, and he didn't play much there, either.

Killner can play almost anywhere, but he's not a standout anywhere, either. The arrival of better players made him expendable. Luke played in six games for us, and he's still looking for another club.

I wouldn't have minded keeping Johnston, a handy young winger, but he asked to be let go so he could play more regularly. He scored twice in 10 appearances for us, and he's now starring at St Helen's Town.

Hello
ST Will Abbotts
MC Jack Willbye
MC Amadu Waritay
DC/M(RL) Aidan Blanchard
ST Andrew Bridges

Welshman Abbotts came in on New Years' Eve, and immediately gave us another potent goal-scoring option. His arrival allowed me to shift Derrick Otim to the right wing, where he enjoyed as much success as he had leading the line.

I'm often guilty of collecting central midfielders. My back room staff told me about Willbye and Waritay, and next thing I knew, they were in Loughborough colors.

Willbye, released by Ipswich Town, is a polished, creative player who will still do his part when we don't have the ball.

Former Reading man Waritay is less polished and much quicker than Willbye, but it's his work rate and willingness to play for the badge that makes him stand out. The arrival of these players allowed me to set up my midfield in a variety of ways; they, along with Luke Wright and Ben Grant, offer a wide range of skills and tactical options.

Imagine Willbye's qualities in a footballer who can play either wing or at center back, and you've got Blanchard. Formerly with Gillingham, he saw action at five different positions after his arrival in early February.

Hartlepool United gave up on pacy hit man Bridges, but his combination of speed and a mature understanding of the game made him a very good fit for our club. The good form of Will Abbotts kept Andrew from establishing himself in the first XI, but I still think we have ourselves a player here.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 03-16-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote