View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #385
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Your group works hard to organize the rescue and then to find miners in the explosion. Many of you have to leave after just 10 minutes of exposure in the mines, the gas is so poisonous. The mine does not have the equipment available to send people into the mine to rescue.

At the end of the rescue efforts, it becomes obvious that you are unable to make any real impact. However, you are able to rescue one miner, Peter Urban.

Without the proper equipment, the recovery effort has to wait until the gas and smoke clears and it ceases to be an operation to find live miners and instead becomes one to find dead bodies. Churches and the bank vault are converted to morgues.

At the end of the work, 362 miners’ bodies are recovered, and you prevented it from being 363. No one knows how many died down there, the company can’t say, they don’t have an audit. The official report lists the 362, but historians claim over 500, and one count is 956.

A large number of the miners killed at the Monongah Mine Disaster are Italian, and Italy sends a delegation to investigate their deaths. 171 of the 362 listed are Italian immigrants and many did not speak English.

The Monongah Mine Disaster is called the worst mining disaster in US history.

Your mission to save miners is a success, even though you saved just one man.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 04-28-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote