View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #657
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
My point is: Either you have people carry weapons with them, which makes it conceivably effective but adds a ton of risk: students grabbing the gun of an unsuspecting teacher, or he forgets to take it when going to lunch, or forgets to lock the cabinett/safe, teachers accidentily shooting students or themselves while running the hall looking for a gunman. Or you store them safely in a central place (or even multiple places, which then again adds risk of exposure/failure of the system) and have it already extremely watered down and pretty damn ineffective.

I am not for teachers carrying in the school.

I am for it being stored in a secured place where trained admin/teachers can access them if needed and when possible.

Quote:
Why ? Your are again not only 1) adding a response time, but you are also now 2) asking unarmed teachers to run across campus/through a maze of corridors with an active shooter on the loose to get their weapon/munition. I'd say the odds he happens to currently be between the teachers/staff in question and the stored weapons/munition are considerable enough to warrant a thought or three.

I am not asking teachers to run across campus. They should follow their current training and shelter in place, lock classroom doors etc.

I think it is quite possible for admin people to be close by the secured weapons if there is an incident. Its not a given, but again better than nothing.

With that said, it would be interesting to read any analysis as to what the admin/teachers are doing if not already securing the classrooms and kids. e.g. are school admin suppose to secure in place also? I only know about teachers because of what my wife tells me.

Quote:
We just saw a trained professional not being able to bring himself to take that risk while armed. And sure, you can put that down to the person being the problem. But you can also point out that it is an absolutely insane prospect that very little can prepare you for.

Agreed, no guarantee the trained admin/teachers who can access the weapons (without sacrificing student safety by not locking their classroom doors) will be effective. Last line of defense is better than nothing IMO.

Quote:
It also once again endorses Guns as the solution and not the problem.

If you inferred that from my responses, I did not mean to say guns are the solution. Ease of access to gun, magazine size etc. are a problem as is mental health, lack of taking threats seriously, lack of resources to followup on threats etc. Gun are not the only problem.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote