View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #41
BYU 14
Coordinator

War of the West

This will be the 6th year since the renewal of the Westview - Tolleson rivalry. They were both originally 4A schools, then Westview went to 5A and Tolleson joined us 6 years ago. Since the time of renewal we hold a 14-1 advantage between all three levels, though there have been a few close games, our current edge is fairly decisive. Still this is a neighborhood rivalry (The schools are 5-6 miles apart) and a lot of the kids know each other socially. At each level if we lose all but one game every year, this is the one we better win. Us and the JV play them this week, the varsity ends the regular Season against them.

This is their best incoming group in a few years. They have a stud back, who probably carried the rock nearly 30 times against us, as well as some big linemen. Our advantage is our depth and the fact that we have as good a 1-2 punch on offense in Shayne and Jamal D as you will find at the freshmen level. It will be a war of attrition with two attacks that are heavily biased towards the running game.

We prepared for their traditional I (Traditional, near and far) offense, but they had some surprises for us. They came out in their first series and mixed in some Single Wing, direct snapping to their stud TB as well as some unbalanced Wishbone. It caught us off guard and they moved inside our 40, where we stopped them on 4th and 1. A solid drive, but our Defense did not break and the kids were flying to the ball. Good start.

We take over and Jamal D goes for 18 on weakside Belly, Shayne M goes for 16 on strong sweep and then Tywon S fumbles on weakside sweep and they take over. They then mount a clock chewing drive that goes into the second quarter, scoring on power from the Bone, then picking up the 2 point conversion. We answer with our own clock chewing drive, that covers 88 yards on 12 plays and lasts over 7 minutes, perfect Football in my book Shayne M caps the drive going 6 yards on a strong side power, we miss the 2 pt conversion and trail 8-6. They run out the clock and it stands that way at the half....We have only 2 possesions the entire half!! Still I am happy as our D bends, but does not break and gives up no big plays. We need to make some adjustments to offset their Single Wing sweep as we are having a hard time maintaining leverage, but we are pretty solid elsewhere.

The kids implemented the adjustments perfectly and we had 4 possesions in the second half, scoring on three of them and taking a knee at their 12 on the 4th possession to end the game. Tolleson was stacking the strong side to take away our sweep and I only called it 5 times, but we still managed to gain 58 yards on it. The nice thing about this offense and having 2 solid weapons like we do is that I don't mind teams selling out to take a certain play away. In this case Tolleson gave us the weakside Belly by alignment and we ran it 10 times for 116 yards.

The defense did a much better job at leveraging the perimeter game and Chuks A in particular picked it up a great deal in the second half. Malik T also did a great job reading a screen play and disrupted enough to allow our secondary and linebackers led by James O to make the play for no gain. We also had another big 4th and 1 stop inside our 45, as Jesus G, Dylan U and Jonathon A converged on their Tailback to stop him inches short of the first down. Tywon S also had an interception in the second half that killed a Tolleson drive. We were up 26-8 in the 4th and started making some substitutions before Tolleson could move inside out 40 again.

They finally scored to make it 26-14 with just over 3 minutes left. We recovered the onside kick (YEA!!) and then ran out the clock for the win to move to 3-1-1 and more important BEAT TOLLESON. A great effort by our Defense and a fantastic job by the O-line (Ryan F, Joseph O, Josiah B, Mario R, Damien C and Antonio A) in dominating the trenches against a solid Tolleson Defense.

Game Stats

Rushing
Jamal D: 17 - 165 yds, 3 TD
Shayne M: 11 - 107 yds, 1 TD
Tywon S: 5 - 27 yds

Passing
Louis G: 2 - 3 for 44 yds

Receiving
Shayne M: 2 - 44 yds

Next up, Sunrise Mountain, who spoiled our Freshmens perfect season last year in a 9-6 upset thriller at our house. I would be lying if I didn't say I was spending a little extra time on this game.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote