View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #177
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
2 Things

1 Anybody else seeing drafts weighted way too much towards pitchers? I'll pretty regularly see 20 or more pitchers before the top-rated batter.

2 How do the defensive ratings work? I understand how Jim does it in FOF with skill abilities and then an experience/comfort rating. I don't understand what the position ratings mean in OOTP. They aren't just comfort, but I don't understand how they differ from the ability ratings.

edit- I have the same problem with pitcher ratings. What's the difference between the pitch ratings and the overall stuff/movement/control ratings?

I’ll take a stab… and note that I play with 20-80 ratings on (and the star system).

1. One big thing that has helped me is to always have a scout with “highly favors tools.” That is the most important rating for me, followed by high scout international and high scout amateur. I want those to always be excellent and preferably higher. In my experience, adding 1-2 of the best international players each year is the best way to find superstars (especially if you are drafting in the back of the draft year after year). With the 20-80 scale, if you are finding players with tools rated 55+, they will have an opportunity to turn into good players. So, if you see a hitter that is rated 2.5 or 3 stars, but he has 60/50/45 (contact/power/eye), that is pretty good. He maybe rated lower on the star scale because his fielding is poor or undeveloped. If your guys have decent range/arm/avoid error/turn dp, force them to start at their position in the minors and they will gain experience and their position rating will go develop. That makes their overall star rating go up. Work ethic and intelligence seem to be very important to development (as does having a large player development budget - I always try to have mine well over the league average). When I draft and have a high development budget, I seem to do well first looking for SP with at least three pitches that are rated 50/50/50 or above with decent stamina and good character traits, as they often turn into adequate or better big league pitchers. Then, you can usually find guys with good contact (55+) and/or adequate power/eye (50ish) that need lots of development or good relievers in rounds 3-5ish. Then get guys with one or two good or interesting tools (can sometimes find guys with 65+ contact or really good fielding potential or high catching ability) till round 10 or so.

2. It seems that the position ratings are a combo of the most important fielding ratings for each position + experience playing them. So, infield range + avoid error + turn DP are most important to middle infielders, but arm is more important to SS. So, when you bring players into your system, you project their best positions and, in the player settings, force them to start at that position in the minors and their SS or 2B rating will increase. Like in real life, C, SS, and CF seem to be the premium positions and the most difficult to find all around great players.

Last edited by Swaggs : 07-23-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote