View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #199
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudiyuhu View Post
Hi, Does limiting pitch counts in the minor leagues help 'mitigate' injury risk for pitching prospects? (Keeping TINSTAAPP in mind, of course).

It definitely does. Playing while fatigued (position and especially pitchers and catchers, in my opinion) increases the chances of injury. Awhile back, I read that there is something like a counter that adds up over a certain amount of pitches and leads to cumulative damage. I also recall reading that there are already standard pitch counts in place in the minors, so I typically only put a count on prospects with stamina 50 or lower or if they are injury prone.

Really though, I avoid injury prone players like the plague, aside from occasionally you can find really high end starting pitchers that are wrecked or prone. I like having guys like that when I have SP prospects in AAA or am just trying to break them into the majors. Best case, they stay healthy and have great seasons. Worst case, you are out a reasonable amount of money and can often hold your best prospects to Super 2 status or break them in as relievers.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote