View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #192
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

13. Right Said Fred – I'm Too Sexy (1992)

Total Points – 343
Charts – 5
Top 40 – 0
Top 20 – 0
Top 10 – 2
Total Ranking – 4, 10, 45, 75, 97, NR

No social commentary here, just a novelty song written to poke fun at the vain and narcissistic people that worked out at the gym owned by the artists. The band, Right Said Fred, consisted of the Fairbrass brothers, Fred and Richard and guitarist Rob Manzoli. Originally, the song was written as an indie rock song, but no one was interested, until one producer played it in his car, hated it, but the passengers picked up on the “I’m a model, you know what I mean” hook. So the producer asked them to rework the song as a dance track and the rest is history. The Fairbrass bothers actually have a pretty extensive background in the music industry. Initially, they worked as the supporting band for Joy Division. Later Richard was employed as a session bassist for Boy George, Mick Jagger, and David Bowie, including appearing in Bowie’s short film Jazzin’ for Blue Jean. Fred appeared as a guitarist in the Bob Dylan vehicle Hearts of Fire. This song was a huge hit in the UK, spending 6 weeks at #2 behind Bryan Adams’s “(Everything I Do) I Do It for You”, this tied the record for the longest period at #2 without ever reaching the top spot. I’m Too Sexy went on to be a #1 hit in 32 countries including the US. The song won the band an Ivor Novello Award, and the band was also nominated for the Brit Award for Best British Group. This song is #49 on the Blender Magazine list of the 50 worst songs ever! Watch, Listen and Cringe! Interestingly and appropriately, the name Right Said Fred, comes from the title of a novelty song hit by Bernard Cribbins in 1962.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote