View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #27
duff88
College Prospect

Chapter 14: NHL Entry Draft

We’re Friday June 1st, and we’re going to travel to Toronto tomorrow for the annual NHL Entry Draft combine. This will be interesting as we’re going to have tests in the morning followed by interviews; I can’t wait. CSS’s final rankings have me at #5 and Marshall at #7 North-American Skaters. According to ISS though, I’m 5th overall and Marshall’s 10th overall. These lists will all prove useless though on June 23rd on NHL Draft day.

As usually, the physical tests were pretty tough. The importance is how hard you work, not how well you perform and that’s why I think we both should come out without hurting our stock. They measured us too; I’m now at 5’10/171 and Marshall’s at 5’8/165. People are now able to difference us as they know I’m a bit bigger than Marshall.

It’s difficult to know how well the interview went, but I think it was pretty good. I was interviewed by 21 teams, Marshall by 23. Every teams asked what I’d think about a team trading up to get both of us; pretty difficult to answer. We both answered almost the same thing:

“Well, it would certainly be great as we’ve always played together and our chemistry is awesome; and it would certainly be odd not to be together, but I don’t think it’s something that important. I’m gonna be glad whatever team I go to.”

We’ve been invited to the prospect showdown on June 22nd as some of the top prospects will be shown to the media. It will be great to meet guys like Kuznetsov, Hamill, Biega and Bruneau for the first time and to reunite with guys like Ian Cole and James O’Brien who were also invited.

The showdown was a lot of fun, but we’re starting to get a bit anxious at the draft; I don’t know if we’re going to sleep well tonight. Mom and Dad should come to see the draft tomorrow, it starts at 12:00ET.

Well I didn’t get much sleep, I don’t know how Marshall did it, but he fell asleep as soon as he touched his bed… Now it’s 7:00am and time is passing by too slowly. We’re leaving for the arena at 9:00 and from then on it’s going to be the longest time of our life. We agreed to be happy with whoever is picked first, and I think it’s what we needed to do.

Anyway, it’s now 11:55ET and in five minutes, commissioner Gary Bettman will come on the stage to tell the draft is started. I’m currently looking at the top 15:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs
2. San Jose Sharks
3. Buffalo Sabres
4. Carolina Hurricanes
5. Columbus Blue Jackets
6. New York Islanders
7. Nashville Predators
8. Minnesota Wild
9. Chicago Blackhawks
10. Dallas Stars
11. Atlanta Thrashers
12. Anaheim Mighty Ducks
13. Washington Capitals
14. Florida Panthers
15. Edmonton Oilers

Let’s hope we’re both drafted in the top 15, it wouldn’t be that bad but for the moment I’d be sad to fall further.

Bettman comes on the stage:

“Hi and welcome to Atlanta for the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. First, I’d like to thank the city of Atlanta for their hospitality and their great organisation for this special event in the life of these young hockey players. I’d like to congratulate the Detroit Red Wings for their Stanley Cup win and the Tampa Bay Lightning for their awesome playoff run. Before we start, I have a trade to announce. The Islanders trade Mattias Weinhandl to the Phoenix Coyotes for the rights to Evgeny Nikolayev, Joseph Palmer and a 2nd round pick, 54th overall. Toronto is up, go ahead and make your pick.”

“With the first overall pick in the 2007 National Hockey League Entry Draft, the Toronto Maple Leafs are proud to select; from the Ontario Hockey League Belleville Bulls, Andrei Kusznetsov!”

We then hear a voice say:

“Toronto selects Andrei Kuznetsov, San Jose is on the clock.”

After the pick, Kuznetsov goes on the podium to shake hands with the GMs, Scouts and Owners and to put the jersey and then San Jose’s GM comes on the stage.

“The San Jose Sharks would like to thank the city of Atlanta for their great hospitality. We’d like to congratulate the Detroit Red Wings for their Stanley Cup win. With the second overall pick, the San Jose Sharks select, from the University of North-Dakota, Garrett Safwat!!”

I didn’t realise it at first; I never expected to be drafted so soon. I think Marshall was even happier than me. He jumped and hugged me, and shaked my hand. Mom was crying, Dad was screaming “That’s my son!” I went on the podium, shook hands with GM Marty Raymond, Assistant GM Marty McSorley and Head Scout Pat Funk. I couldn’t get that big silly smile off my face. The jersey looked great!

“San Jose selects Garret Safwat, Buffalo is on the clock.”

“The Buffalo Sabres select James O'Brien

I was meeting the Sharks staff when I heard it and I apologized to applause, explaining that he was my teammate for two years and that I wanted to congratulate him. They all laughed, they seemed as happy as I did! While O’Brien was on the stage putting on my favourite team’s jersey, the Sharks coach Ron Smith came to me and said:

“I’m glad to meet you kid, I’ve heard about you all season long! I know what you’re thinking, go ahead and get back to your brother. I know you want to see him get drafted so congratulate him when he does and comeback for all the post-draft stuff afterwards while he’s on the stage.”
“Really? I can do that?”
“Sure, I’m pretty sure that’s what you want, and I don’t see a problem with that.”
“Thanks” I said while I was leaving

While I was walking, I heard the next pick.

“The Carolina Hurricanes are pleased to select, from the Vancouver Giants, Zach Hamill!”

I met Zach while I was walking up to our place and I congratulated him with a tap on the shoulder and he smiled back. When I arrived at my place, my mother asked:

“What are you doing here?”
“They said I could come back to see where Marshall was going to be picked.”
“They might want to trade to get Marshall and see how you guys react?” asked my dad
“I don’t think so, how does that feel?” asked Marshall
“Wait and see”

“The Columbus Blue Jackets select Jan Krupka!”

“It was great to see James be drafted to Buffalo”
“Yeah, I have to admit it would have been great if it was me”
“Yeah” I answered laughing “But don’t worry, I’m pretty sure you’ll love it wherever you go.

“The New York Islanders would like to thank the city of Atlanta and its great hockey fans for their kindness. With the sixth overall pick, we are proud to select, from the Prince-Edward Island Rockets of the Quebec Junior Major Hockey League, Michael Biega!”

After the traditional photo, Biega came off the stage and Nashville got ready for their pick:

“Nashville selects Aleksandr Smirnov!”

Then came Minnesota with the 8th overall pick.

“The Minnesota Wild select, with the 8th pick in the 2007 draft, defenseman Martin Herman!”

Marshall was starting to move a bit more, mostly by nervosity because he certainly wasn’t angry to still be on the board as he had already said he thought he would be picked in the 9th to 15th range, by either Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Anaheim, Washington, Florida or Edmonton.

“The Chicago Blackhawks are proud to select, from Kazan, Russia, defenseman Sergei Frolov

Then came Dallas, Marshall had already said he'd love to one day play with Saku Koivu who was now the captain of the rebuilding Sabres.

“The Dallas Stars select Logan Couture!”

Then came the Atlanta Thrashers, Marshall had talked about how great it’d be to be drafted in the city that holds the draft and hear the fans cheer or boo the team’s pick.

“The Atlanta Thrashers select Marshall Safwat!

And the crowd seemed ecstatic; this was the greatest cheer so far in the draft. Marshall was really happy, he shook my hand, my mom was crying again and my dad was still overjoyed; I felt so proud! That was a great moment!

When he arrived on the stage, I think the jersey fitted perfectly on Marshall! That was too good to be true. I said bye to my parents and I left for the Sharks’ draft table.

The rest of the day was pretty filled: Interviews, photos, autographs, meetings… for how long the hours before the draft were, once I was drafted it was way too short. But at the end of the day, I think we both came out of there pretty well!

It's a long way to the top - Player's Diary is suspended indefinitely. It might come back in the next few months; but there won't be any updates for the next few weeks.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote