View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #15
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

SCAT Fall Invitational - 10/1/2011

This meet, held at the GaTech Olympic Pool comes only a few weeks after the time trials, so I'm not expecting a significant difference in times for any of the kids, but here are my quit thoughts on each kid for this meet...

Bailey - I am still hopeful she'll get her 50 Back state cut at this meet.

Bear - I'd like to see him clean up his back and get a personal best and I'd like to see him cut into that Fly time so he can challenge for a state cut before Short Course season ends

Brett - I'd like to see some improvement in the "off" strokes

Note: again I don't know order of events for this meet, so fatigue may have impacted some of the results but I honestly can't remember what order the events were swum in...so I won't be able to elaborate on that aspect of their efforts

Girls 10U - 50 Free
Bailey doesn't improve on this one...her time is pretty consistent only .5 slower at 35.95.

Girls 10U - 100 Free
Bailey swam an amazing race, clocking in with a 1:19.97 - an improvement of almost 6 full seconds. I believe most of this is due to her being stronger than she was last year...but even with that ind it was an extremely shocking an unexpected result.

Girls 10U - 50 Back
Very similar swim to the time trials in time and appearance. Still a little hesitent into the wall...39.78...slower by about .15

Girls 10U - 50 Breast
Bailey's breast continues to improve rapidly...her time drops more than .7 seconds and she is not swimming her 50 breast in about the same times as Brett was last year...46.38. This time also puts her in a good position to get her state cut.

Girls 10U - 100 Breast
Bailey's good technique on the Breast serves her well in the 100 Breast as she posts a 1:40.66, another 6+ second improvement...and it puts her about 2 seconds from another state cut

Girls 10U - 50 Fly
A bad swim here for Bailey as she posts a time of 42.14...2.6 seconds slower. Not really a big deal due to the fact she already has her state cut and isn't going to obtain a sectional cut in this stroke anyway (Sectionals is the meet for the Southeastern region and requires an even more stringent time standard to qualify), but she was very disappointed in that time.

Girls 10U - 100 IM
Bailey again drops a chunck of time swimming a 1:29.30...almost 3.5 second improvement...

Bailey had an extremely impressive meet...no new state cuts, but some very significant improvements. The one stroke were she swam poorly was the one that mattered the least (50 Fly). She has now positioned herself to really challenge for more state cuts than I thought she'd be able to get. Now whether she obtains any or all of them will remain to be seen, but it should be fun going forward with so much on the line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boys 10U - 50 Free
Bear again improves his 50 free, and again it is marginally...he drops the times by .3 seconds to 38.58

Boys 10U - 100 Free
Bear, like Bailey, improves dramatically in the 100 free, dropping his time to 1:28.98 - an almost 5 second improvement. Again I believe this is mostly due to being stronger than last year...but again a huge surprise. Some improvement was expected but not this much.

Boys 10U - 50 Back
A personal best here...but only BARELY...43.09...improved by .07. But a personal best is never something to take for granted...

Boys 10U - 50 Breast
Bear swam a personal best in this race, but he was DQed for an illegal pullout (the portion of the race after the dive or turn where the underwater strokes occur). Bear apparently did too much of his second stroke underwater before he surfaced...and the swimmer is only allowed 1 underwater stroke. He was very upset about the DQ...especially since it removed a personal best, but I told him not to worry about it, as it didn't help his time and he improved even if it didn't count.

Boys 10U - 50 Fly
Bear improves in his favorite stroke again, but again it is marginally...he drops down into the 41 level with 41.78, but we still aren't in the low 41s high 40s where I'd like him to be in his efforts to get a state cut. At this point he'll have 3 more chances to qualify and we still need to drop 2 full seconds...but I'm proud of him and I tell him so.

Boys 10U - 100 IM
Bear improves on his official IM best (but still isn't terribly close to his amazing swim at the GRPA State Meet), with a time of 1:38.79. Over a 2 second drop.

Bear's had a great meet he was 5/5 on personal bests for those strokes that he was given credit for and he did improve his Breast by about 2 seconds, even though he was DQed. He continues his string of improvements, but I am concerned that we aren't getting close to a State Cut and with Bailey already having one and now close on several more it will break his heart if he doesn't get one,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boys 11/12 - 50 Free
Another swim where Brett's times backup...finished with a 38.12

Boys 11/12 - 100 Free
Brett swims better than he had been at the end of the year, but he doesn't come close to a personal best with a time of 1:26.75

Boys 11/12 - 50 Back
Brett has a typical Backstroke swim at 46.90...slower than his best but in the same time frame most his backstrokes fall...

Boys 11/12 - 50 Breast
Doesn't improve in Breast this time, which isn't completely surprising...his time falls back into the mid 45s, so only a half second off his last swim

Boys 11/12 - 100 Breast
Like the 50 Breast, Brett is off by .5 seconds and doesn't get a personal best

Boys 11/12 - 50 Fly
DQed...he forgot what stroke he was swimming, and started out freestyle...which eliminates him for non-simultaneous arms. This infuriated me and we had a long chat about taking this more seriously or giving it up for good, because I wasn't going to waste my money on his swimming if he was going to make mental mistakes like this...

Boys 11/12 - 200 Breast
I signed Brett up for this event, because his coach had told him, numerous times that he will do better on the longer Breast swims because his technique is so good. That he doesn't do as well on the short swims, because he isn't as strong at many boys that are bigger than he is, but those boys can't hold up their strokes and speed for the longer swims and his technique will allow him to beat them. Unfortunately, Brett was intimidated and refused to go...so we No Show...and I'm not happy...

Brett had a horrible meet. Now I must qualify something here. Brett was forced to go to the pool for the morning session because his siblings were scheduled to swim then...meaning he got up around 6 to eat and hit the road, then he had to sit around for hours waiting until the afternoon session when it was his turn to go. He doesn't do well when this is the case, but I did expect a little better effort from him. We have had issues with him of taking swimming for granted in the past, and I was serious when I stated that if he didn't take it more seriously then I was going to pull him out (though I'd really pull him out for a couple weeks intially to get his attention). We'll see if it comes to that...

-----------------------------------------------------
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote