View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #118
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Trainers Test

Things turned out a little differently than I expected. First off, I used matches from practice tournaments as a baseline(competitive ones). That's the 'default' way to train on weeks off of course. Compared to those:

** Competitive friendly matches(60-40 points split or closer) are 67% as efficient(experience gained compared to xp)
** Training sessions with a 5.0 trainer are at about 74% -- it varies a little but not much.

Now, at first glance this might not look like much. 74% to 67% is not a huge difference. A little better, but is it worth the effort? A couple other things to note here -- first, training sessions are also more convenient. They give 17-20 xp compared to around 12 for a good friendly match, and don't take as long; just over 2 minutes compared to about 4 for the friendly. That makes a big difference in faster game worlds when you're trying to race to get all the training in sometimes, esp. if there is one trainer trying to handle multiple players ... Training is also more consistent. And the biggest factor of all might be that for a top player, it's impossible to find good partners for friendly matches.

Mehul is happy to have one once in a while where he doesn't blow the opponent off the court better than 6-2, 6-2 ... and that's with me handpicking the best opponents. For weeks like the recent French Open, where he had the one singles QF match and that's it, he might need 15 or more low-yield friendly matches. That's the kind of situation where a trainers advantage can be quite significant. Looking for any miniscule edge against other top players, it's definitely worth waiting for a good trainer in my opinion but it definitely is limited in effect.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-03-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote