View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 03:26 AM   #138
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

So a long work weekend is in the books now, and the Paris Masters is underway. Time to put up or shut up in determining the last two players who will be invited to the tour finals. For Iglar and Benda, the implications for the fight for year-end #1 were just as important. The quartet in the middle was basically jockeying for position as well but nothing enormous on the line for them.

After double-checking the numbers, here where we stand heading into Paris. One caveat -- I've noticed on a few occasions that the game does not always calculate a player's ranking properly. It's rare, and usually just involves a small event, but such miscalculations could play a role here. This is way things *should* be, however ...

Battle For #1

Antonin Iglar -- 11,190
Bjorn Benda -- 11,010

Unchanged since last week of course. Barring some sort of disastrous early loss, both players will go into the tour finals with a chance at the crown. Iglar has not lost since the Wimbledon final, a string of 26 straight matches. I'm not betting that ends before the end of the year.

Race to Belarus

As the title indicates, the location has been revealed for the Finals. Definitely not a sports hotspot, but I don't know how these things are determined.

Evgeni Topolski -- 4150
Anil Mehul -- 3960
------------------------------------------------------
Cestmir Marcek -- 3935
Goncharenko -- 3730
Prieto -- 3620
Hammerstein -- 3560

A pretty close group, and there are still six players mathematically in the hunt. The differences here are quite small, a win or two in a big event or two over the course of the year for any player would have changed the situation considerably. By far the most likely scenario is that Topolski is in, and Mehul is in unless Marcek goes further in Paris, in which case the Czech makes it.

Topolski is in the best position. He clinches by making the Paris final; everyone else needs to win the tournament or get help from others. Goncharenko & Prieto must at least make the semifinals to have any chance no matter what happens elsewhere; Hammerstein must make the final. Obviously the draw will be crucial here.

I'll be posting round-by-round updates as I am able(i.e., awake) given the late-season drama Mehul is involved in.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote