View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 11:51 PM   #13
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

14 December 2014

Our first half-season in the Southern League Division 1 Central was both eventful and wildly successful. Looking back, I should have written an update at the quarter pole; from now on, that's what I'll do.

I decided to start the season with the tactical approach that worked so well in our run to the title last spring: a simple 4-4-2, hassling our opponents and pressing higher up the pitch. It works well with the squad I assembled, filled with players who have a high work rate.

Despite the fact the media tapped us to finish in the playoff places, I don't think the other clubs in the league took us very seriously at first. They tended to come straight at us, leaving all kinds of space for us to take advantage of if we won the ball back. We made one side after another pay for taking that approach with us.

We didn't lose once in the league in August and September. I played a rotated squad in the FA Cup tie, and we came close to nicking a result then, too. By then, we were nine points clear at the top of the table.

During our remarkable run, I'd been rotating Tom Logan, Paul Douglas, and Mick Hart at forward. In mid-October, however, Hart caught fire. The young frontman fired in 12 goals in six games, pulling within one of the league lead.

"Mick Hart, he scores when he wants..."

Away to St. Ives on 25 October, center back Jonathan Booth picked up two yellow cards in rapid succession early in the second half. By then, we were ahead 2-0 via a brace from Hart, and we held on for a 2-1 result.

Five days later, Richard Ahern tore a groin muscle in training. With Booth suspended, half our starting back four would be unavailable for the trip to Guildford on 1 November. Jason Murray and Anthony Lord gave it their all, but the Guild got the better of us, 2-1. Our streak ended at fourteen games without a loss in the league.

Ahern would be out for at least six weeks, so I brought in Danny Thomas on a three-month loan from Dulwich Hamlet. Danny, age 20, is a Welshman, and he plays a lot like a younger version of Ahern. He can do a job in several other positions, so he'll remain useful to us even after Richard is back (which could be around New Year's Day).

Lately, we've had a rash of naughty behavior. In that goalless draw with Barton Rovers, Thomas saw yellow twice, and three minutes after he left the pitch, Bad Jon Booth drew a straight red for a professional foul. Then, against AFC Hayes, Paul Douglas--who's been wearing the captain's arm band more often than not lately--went in for a tackle studs high and was sent off! Paul drew a three-game suspension from the league for his offense, and I've fined both him and Bad Jon a week's wages.

We're really going to miss Douglas. He has 15 assists already this season, either delivering inch-perfect corners or giving a clinic on the role of Target Man, holding up the ball and playing in his teammates.

Around the first of October, other clubs began inviting me to apply for their vacant managerial jobs. Even though I'm still on a month-to-month deal with Wantage Town, I feel like sticking around and seeing if I can lead the lads to another championship.

There are 22 teams in the division, but I couldn't fit them all on my screen at once. That's why this table goes down only as far as 15th place.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 06-23-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote