View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #18
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

15 August 2015

The Southern Premier division kicks off today. Here's the team I'll be taking into the season.

Lots of familiar names here. Chris Beesley takes the number one shirt for the third consecutive season. The back four will also be exactly the same--Matty York, Matt Osman, Jonathan Booth, and Richard Ahern--although our staff think young Tom Wilkinson is ready to challenge for a spot.

Ryan Ryder and Roy Porter return as our outside midfielders, and Max Westlake will once again pull the strings as our playmaker in the middle of the park. He'll have a new partner this season: Dominic Hutchinson.

Hutchinson is 23, and he was released by Brackley Town last January; he'd also been with two other clubs in the Conference North and South, one level higher than ours. He is a reliable defensive presence, good at marking and tackling, and he'll serve as our holding presence in the central midfield. Dominic is also a real threat from corners and free kicks. Ashley Lane will now fill the role of super-sub, able to fill in at a variety of spots.

Paul Douglas and Mick Hart, who combined for 40 goals and 37 assists last season, will lead the line for us. Douglas will take the captain's arm band, after serving as vice captain last year.

My staff, who are actually quite good at evaluating talent, think several of our starters--Ahern, Ryder, even Douglas--are not quite up to Level 7 standards. I'm inclined to disagree. Their set of attributes enable them to fit the roles I'm asking them to play. Ahern and Ryder are in their thirties now. I have only one young right back who is comfortable enough with the ball at his feet to step into Ahern's role, and he is far too raw for the first team. I might be shopping for Richard's successor in case his game begins to slip.

Here's the U21 team:

The strikers, John Nash and Josias Bedwell, are the names to watch here. My staff think they're star material already. My only issue with them is their lack of pace. Nash is not fast, but Bedwell makes him look like a sprinter. And if you're not quick at 16, you won't ever be quick.

Anthony Lord is possibly on his way out, as lots of lower level teams are trying to prise him away.

I want Felix Okoro to put it together for us, but when I've given him chances in the first team, he usually struggles.

And, finally, the U18s:

Brett Purser is the aforementioned young right back. He has promise, but he needs seasoning. Striker Jon Walliss can run fast, but that's about all he can do now. I wish he could loan some of his pace to John Nash.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 06-28-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote