View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #34
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

30 June 2017
The Alfredians, By the Numbers

Here's a look at the stats for the 2016/17 season:

Mick Hart battled back from an injury-plagued autumn to finish among the league's top scorers, bagging eight in his final seven games to bring his total to 25. It's sometimes difficult to remember he's still awaiting his 19th birthday. I'm surprised bigger clubs haven't come calling for him yet, honestly. For now, however, he's still in Wantage green and white hoops, and the supporters couldn't be happier. He's been elevated to Icon status, along with his strike partner, Paul Douglas.

Speaking of Douglas, the captain banished the memories of a 2015/16 season that saw him in the physio's room as often as he was on the pitch and enjoyed the best season of his Wantage career, based on average rating.

The breakout star of the year was another starlet, Tom Wilkinson. Bombing up the left wing with abandon, Tom was third in the team scoring table and was named Man of the Match more often than anyone.

On the other hand, Roy Porter took a step backward this season. Was the Conference South simply too fast a league for Roy's skill level, or was this simply an off year for him? I decided the gamble wasn't worth the price Roy wanted me to pay to keep him around another year.

Max Westlake will be missed a good deal more. He was never spectacular, but his calm presence in our midfield allowed our flashier players to do their thing. I'm looking for his replacement, and it's not been easy to find him.

Dominic Hutchinson has been elevated to the ranks of Favoured Personnel after another fine season in our midfield. Dominic is even more of a lunch-pail kind of player than Westlake was. His moment to shine comes when he stands over a free kick.

I hope John Nash remains happy with his role as a super-sub, because he's awfully good at it. Those eleven assists look even more impressive when you consider he didn't have as much time on the pitch as the regular starters had.

The back four--Matty York, Matt Osman, Jonathan Booth, and Malte Seidel--were, in a word, delightful. Seidel and Osman were lethal on set pieces; Osman has 19 goals in four seasons, almost all of them seeming to come from corners, and Seidel's prowess has been mentioned already. Booth is a quiet force in the center of our defense, one the fans recognized when they named him their Player of the Season. York, too, seems to do his job without a lot of fanfare, and he's on the team sheet almost every single time. Matty is the club leader in appearances during my tenure, with 176.

That's one more appearance than our stalwart 'keeper, Chris Beesley. Chris proved himself up to the standard of the Conference, keeping 11 clean sheets to run his total to 54 in Wantage colors.

Here is our new all-time Best Eleven. I doubt you'll see many surprises here.

Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote