View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #36
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

7 October 2017

As I expected, the going is much, much tougher in the Conference Premier. The players at this level are a lot more talented; they make fewer mistakes, and they are much quicker to pounce on scoring opportunities and convert them.

As we worked our way up the pyramid, the Alfredians were a dynamic, high-scoring side that might approach 100 goals in a season. Those days seem to be gone. This year, we're a scrappy lot who try to keep things tight in the back against most opponents, and hope to nick a goal or two from a break or a set piece.

With the exception of two matches--away to Macclesfield and Forest Green--we've managed to accomplish those tasks fairly well. The Hednesford Town match was a bit of an exception; two yellow cards for Matt Osman put us a man down, and the visitors got the winning goal five minutes from time.

Mick Hart continues to prove he can find the net against faster competition. Both he and Paul Douglas were injured against Hednesford Town, so we'll be relying on John Nash and Josias Bedwell for a few weeks.

Our new men are still bedding in, with varying degrees of success. Lloyd Unsworth has been the best of them so far, providing us with a powerful presence at center half. He is particularly good in the air. Ryan Bellamy has been quietly solid, but the supporters are wondering why Aiden Harris is still in the first team. I don't think Aiden has been that bad, honestly, and even if I did, the alternatives I have right now aren't likely to be any better.

A number of younger players who haven't had the opportunity to break into the first team have come to me wondering why. They've all been non-contract players, so I've simply released them. The most notable among them were goalkeeper Tom Knowles, defenders Josh Murray and Felix Okoro, and forward Tom Logan. It's interesting to note that Murray is the only one who has found a new club, and he had to go back to the County Leagues to do it. That makes me think I was right; they certainly weren't suited for regular duty with us.

I realized we need more effective cover for our midfielders, so I brought Danny Beadle in on loan from Barnsley. Danny, who is about to turn 20, has made nine appearances for the Reds while spending most of his time on loan to clubs in the Conference. He is a solid presence in the center of the park who does nothing spectacularly, but will work hard and keep his head in the game. In other words, he's perfectly suited to hold down the fort when Dominic Hutchinson or Ryan Bellamy need a rest.

You have to look a lot farther down the table to find us this season. Managers of clubs all around us in the standings are getting the sack, but so far, I've been safe. The board don't expect me to do more than keep us out of relegation, so I suppose they're pleased with our position.

Braintree are right below Dover, in 20th, with 13 points. That's the last safe position. Barnet have 13 points, too, but Dover has a four-goal edge right now. Salisbury and AFC Fylde are next, with 11 points, and Bishop's Stortford are bottom, with only 8.

Fylde and Bishop's Stortford are two of the other clubs who were promoted from the Conference North/South this year. The fourth promoted club are Harrogate Town, who have one more point than we do.

I'm having to adjust my expectations, but after I do, I'm not feeling too bad about the season.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote