View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #21
BillyNYC
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Since I was little, I also always wanted to go someplace that I wasn't really allowed to go, or was dangerous, or was at least perceived that way.

When I was in Kosovo for a few days in 2018, just about everyone freaked out. But the war was like 20 years ago. I felt quite safe, stuff was cheap, and they love Americans (due to US support during the war). Pristina even has a large statue of Bill Clinton.

After doing a lot of research to be comfortable I wasn't going to a literal war zone, went to the divided town of Mitrovica. The south side of the river is Kosovar Albanian. The north side is Serb. The bridge is patrolled by Italian peacekeepers from NATO. And it was so pleasant. You can freely walk from one side to the other. Women pushed strollers across the bridge. People in cafes on both side. It truly felt like 2 different countries, with different flags omnipresent on both sides and memorials to one side's heroes/another's villains.

It definitely was NOT unsafe, but I couldn't convince anyone of this. I suppose that's the best of both worlds?
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote