View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #203
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze
We had our meeting with the doctor to discuss Brett's ADHD, and given all the information we have he recommended trying medications. Since I was on medication for the same problem as a child (though much older than 5), I agreed. He was perscribed Aderall. There is a staging process we are supposed to go thorugh to determine the right dosage.

We gave him is first pill on Saturday, and it didn't go well. He became very angry and tense, then began talking vividly about violent things that he was making up. It was as if he was on a bad LSD trip. After a couple of hours things seemed to settle down and he slowly returned to his normal self. We called the doctor of course and he wants us to try again and let it go for a couple of days. That's going to be very difficult, because Brett is a very sweet and friendly child, and his personna on the drug was quite disconserting. We'll see - I'm not sure where we are going to go from here.

Wow....big step, I am avoiding the medication route with my son, and the school had the talk with my wife last week.

So we stepped up to coffee, on ADD and ADHD caffeine acts as a calming agent. I can drink 64 oz of Dew, coffee or anything, and I could go to sleep right after...the stuff that gets my heart pumping is the sugar.

Good luck on all of this, if you need anyone to talk to about this, I am more than willing, I am an adult that has been diagnosed with ADHD, and I was as a kid too, and it sounds like you have been there yourself. Just if you need to talk, vent or anything, PM me.

As for us, things have been going great, the kids are happy that I have a good job that they know will affect a lot in what they will be doing, they also know it is taking me away for big chunks at a time.

I checked them both out of school early today so they can take me to the airport, my 8 year old lost it, she has been holding me, and crying today, telling me not to go. It's been heartbreaking, and I myself lost it on my wife after this, I knew it would be hard, but not this hard.

My 5 year old, it hasn't hit him yet, but it might tonight or in the next couple of weeks. I have purchased a web cam so I can see the family when I am on the road and they can see me.

Keep your fingers crossed for I won't be home until March 19th.