Thread: Board Games
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #89
moriarty
College Starter

I just picked up Fields of Fire. It's a Solitaire War Game, based on squad/platoon level combat.

The rule book is a bit of a mess - not complicated so much as it's laid out terribly, and after you read it the first time you still have no idea how to play (lots of 'gray' areas). Note: the developers are working on a rewrite of the rules and expanded examples.

But if you don't mind reading through the 35 page rule book, the online example of play, and several threads to answer questions then it appears to be a helluva good game.

There's 3 campaigns (WWII Normandy, Korea, and Vietnam) w/ tons of replayability. Mines, grenades, snipers, tanks, helicopters, etc. Your troops gain experience w/ each mission so they can increase (or decrease) experience levels (green, line, or veteran) which adds a bit of RPG to it.

I'd love to see it converted to the computer/XBL as it definitely has that one more turn feel (no Vassal module yet). It also seems perfect for dynasty type reports - if I get the time I'll attempt one here.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote