View Single Post
Old 10-20-2023, 03:11 PM   #20
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This is where we can get into a greater debate on definitions. Definition by whom? The definition of words can change based on the subject matter at hand and the way in which writer/speaker uses the word. Even dictionary definitions change based on the dictionary subject matter. The Oxford-English dictionary is generally the authority on English words, but can have a different definition than a law dictionary, a religious dictionary, a technical/IT dictionary, a slang dictionary or a dictionary focused on regional common usage of a word.

Sure, all of that is valid. If you need a legal definition, go to a law dictionary, same for medical or psychiatry term etc.

If you need a layman's definition, I'd say wikipedia for a "mature, lots of edits" term/topic is probably best. Need a quick definition, go to any of the establish dictionaries. And as always, be prepared to defend or adjust as needed.

If you don't use a dictionary when disagreeing on what you believe is completely wrong use of a term, what are you going to do?

Nobody: Cereal is a soup
Edward: No, it's not
Nobody: Yes, it is. My mama says it is
Edward: No, it's not, your mama is wrong
Nobody: My mama isn't wrong, you're a ...

vs

Nobody: Cereal is a soup
Edward: No, it's not
Nobody: Yes, it is. My mama says it is
Edward: No, it's not, here's the wiki definition. If you read somewhere that cereal is a soup, provide the link, I'd like to read the rationale
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote