View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #875
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
On the DC's, do you scout/sort by transfer-listed players at all? Often time when I have a "smaller club" moving up to top flight you can find some veterans available at knock-down transfer fees or even 1 yr loan deals with an upfront fee who are transfer listed.

Yeah. When it came down to it I didn't have trouble finding a couple guys (as you can see in the above post). I held out for a long time though trying to find someone who was a super clear upgrade over what I currently have. Once I decided that I needed to find guys who were decent players and find the ones that seem to best fit in with the team it came together pretty well.

Steps I took to try to identify players:

1 - ask my assistant for a loan report on DCs (that yields a list of 15ish players throughout Europe).
2 - Go through all of my scouts reports for the prior year, look at all the DC's they recommended, get new scouting reports if necessary and look for deals.
3 - Look for Transfer listed players.
4 - Look for "available for loan" players, looking to do fee + potential to buy loans. I had 3 or 4 of those approved this year for guys that were promising but all chose to go elsewhere.
5 - Look at players released by top clubs
6 - Look in general at free transfer players.

There may have been more but those were the primary ways I came up with lists of players to go after. Similar process was followed for the other positions as well.

Some players came in via coach meeting suggestions. I had a striker I was highly interested in who was unhappy at his team that one of my coaches found for me. I could have bought him for $11M but was trying to negotiate that down as I didn't' want to spend half my budget on a ST when I had other needs that were bigger. It fell apart in the end though when I realized the player was going to want to be paid at minimum $150k/wk and maybe $250k/wk.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote