View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #76
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

An anthropologist speculating based on the scant evidence to hand is alright, so long as nothing unexpected results..

We've got enough evidence in the case of bigfoot that the burden of proof has shifted. The fact that you haven't seen that proof well enough to understand that this is the case could also use explaining. But that's for the sociologists or anthropologists, not me.

Here's something that's analogous -- though well known to native people and a few Westerners for centuries, science finally catches up only when remains are found. Because natives and explorers cannot be relied upon in the matter of something that is manlike. It has always been this way:

http://www.nature.com/news/specials/flores/index.html

The first Dutch explorers to the Island learned that the natives knew of a small race of hairy people. A few of the explorers may even have seen them. This back in the late 17th century. Now we read that they did indeed exist and perhaps even persisted into historical times..

Who would have figured?

Bigfoot is different from all the paranormal things it is often cast away with. You can touch it, you can see it, you can smell it, you can film it, you can take a picture of it, you can get a recording of its voice, you can watch it walking, eating, bathing, swimming, hunting, sleeping and doing many many other things besides -- there is no facet of a bigfoot's life that is closed to observation. It's just that bigfoot would rather not be in the same place you are, for good reason, so the observations have come from many different people in glimpses.

Had bigfoot not adopted a strategy of extreme aversion to human contact, it would have been hunted to extinction just like all the other megafauna have been. Its elusiveness is hardwired, honed to brilliance by plain old evolution. Our history is replete with stories of hunting parties who "chased the Wild Man of the Woods." We haven't found any that speak of catching one, though..

It helps that bigfoot has been clocked at 35mph, and faster.

I think one reason people automatically reject what evidence there is already is because of fear. I like to pass along this particular set of tales to help folks understand that we aren't talking about a raving gorilla in the woods. Far from it.

There are several cases where a bigfoot helps a hurt or trapped human. In one, a logger, working alone pretty far from help, gets trapped under the tree he fells. It would be quite some tme before his workmates would be back and he was in a lot of pain under the tree.

A bigfoot happens by. That alone was pretty shocking to the fellow, I'm sure, but he couldn't have been prepared for what happened next: he said the bigfoot stopped and looked at him, then at the tree, and seeming to pause only a moment to make a decision, stooped to lift the tree off the fellow, and then continued on its way witout looking back.

In another story a young boy of four or five was lost playing in the woods near his home. A large searching party was organized but it got too dark before they found him. The next morning his parents found him on the front porch. They were overjoyed of course, but he told everyone that "the big hairy monkey" had brought him home after it sat with him all night to keep him warm.

I've seen at least three reports of folks who have fallen while running from a bigfoot, who they thought was chasing them. In each case, they looked back expecting the worst only to find the creature paitently waiting for them to get up and start running again.

And this trio of reports is born out by all the others -- bigfoot may chase you but it never catches you.

Of course many of you will say that's because it doesn't exist. But now you'll have some basis for not freaking out when it turns out that it does.

Which is not to say bigfoot is entirely harmless either. When they want you gone they'll try to intimidate you, and one way they do this is by throwing things. Sometimes the things they throw are quite large. I don't think their aim is good enough to miss you even if they aren't aiming right at you..
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote