View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

Never thought much about it but guess it makes sense.

Pope Francis Questions Traditional Translation Of Lord's Prayer | HuffPost
Quote:
Pope Francis has expressed concerns about a traditional translation of the Lord’s Prayer, an ancient prayer that Jesus Christ taught his disciples and is repeated by Christians around the world today.

The current wording of the prayer in the Catholic liturgical tradition contains a line that says, “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”

But Francis suggested that this common translation may be misleading.

In an interview with the Italian Catholic channel TV2000, published on YouTube Wednesday, the pontiff pointed out that God isn’t the one who leads humans to sin. That’s Satan’s job, Francis said.

“It is not a good translation because it speaks of a God who induces temptation,” the pope said, according to a translation provided by The Guardian.

“I am the one who falls; it’s not him pushing me into temptation to then see how I have fallen. A father doesn’t do that, a father helps you to get up immediately. It’s Satan who leads us into temptation, that’s his department.”

The pope then referred to the French Catholic church, which has started using the phrase “do not let us fall into temptation.”
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote