View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #45
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

As the time runs down on us, I just can't quite convince myself to pull a trigger on a trade. The chance to pair another high draft pick with Duncan and Allen is just too good to pass up. But what player to choose?

On a team as deep as we are, we don't have any particular area of need, but we do have a few areas of concern. Our point guard situation could be improved, but I'm not sure how much better Mike Bibby will be compared to Eisley. And aside from Bibby, there really isn't another option remotely viable. And even as the top PG in the draft, Bibby is in no way worthy of being picked at #2 overall.

Mutombo and Gilliam are 32 and 34 respectively, and while we hope to resign P.J. Brown in free agency, we've received word from Geiger's agent that we have little chance to get him to return. He wants more playing time than we can justify giving him with what is in front of him. But the only top 10 big man is Raef LaFrentz, and once again #2 is high to pick him.

Out of Bibby or LaFrentz, I'd rather get LaFrentz. He could potentially develop into Mutombo's replacement, and be a double double guy. He's projected to go 7th overall, and so we could potentially trade down, but getting equal value proves difficult.

And so we're left with the 3 top small forwards.

Dirk Nowitzki is too raw, and I don't want to use this high of a pick on a project player like the Celtics did with Kobe Bryant and who has yet to amount to much.

Paul Pierce is regarded by most as the top player in this draft. He's a great scorer, a capable defender and a steady ball handler, and his only deficiency in my eyes is that he is only 6'6". He could come in day one and compete with and probably beat out Rice for the starting spot.

Antawn Jamison is not as polished as Pierce, but at 6'9", he can create mismatches if we play him at the 2, and he could possibly fill in at 4 on a limited basis. I'd love to see Rose, Jamison, Howard, Duncan and Mutombo on the court at the same time and watch the other team try to get any rebounds.

With 10 seconds left on the clock, I turn in a card with Jamison's name on it.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote