View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

8-0 baby.

But it could hardly have been any closer, as we rally for a 21-20 win, surviving a 42 yard field goal that went (apparently) just wide. Honestly, every single person in the press box thought the kick was good, the refs saw it otherwise ... and I'll take that.

The stud RB got 125 yards for the night, 75 of them on a run late in the 1st quarter that put them in front 14-7. They added two field goals to lead 20-7 at the half, our offense completely stifled after going 70 yards easily on the opening drive to draw first blood.

2nd half they get the ball & we hold, until they fake a punt convert to near midfield ... except for that little yellow flag, one of their umpteen procedure calls on the night. That saved our butts. We draw within a score when Eric Williams turned a 20 yard slant into a 50 yard TD by simply being the fastest man on the field. We put together a nice drive on the next possession, dinking & dunking our way downfield steadily, scoring with 2:36 left in Q3 on a 2 yd QB keeper, PAT kick is good, it's 21-20 good guys.

And from there we fought & scratched & clawed, swapping punts & a turnover each, their final drive starts at their 44 with 3:14 left. The end up 4th & less than 1 at our 28, out of time outs and around :40 left after the measurement, so they calmly line up for a 45 yarder that misses -- officially -- a little bit wide right. Kicker was good from 27 & 45 earlier, had missed a late first half 52 yard try, it couldn't have been much closer on the game-winning miss.

One victory formation, one kneel down, and the celebration was on. And much nerves are still frazzled.

8-0, with a chance to clinch the region title (and at least a top 4 seed it appears) if we win on the road next week at 1-7 Hebron Christian, a team that got slaughtered tonight by Commerce.

ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-27-2012 at 12:35 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote