View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #164
sabotai
General Manager

1927 In Review

The very first Oscars have (almost) come and gone. There will still be a few from the 1927-1928 awards to see next year, and some from next year will be from the 1928-1929 awards.

We saw the very first Bext Picture winners in Wings and Sunrise. We also saw Al Jolson lead the revolution towards sound. A revolution that was swift enough that never again would a silent movie win the Oscar for Best Picture. It's also a revolution that killed more silent movie stars than it embraced, either by the star's rejection or by the public's.

For the most part, 1928 would still be a year of silent movies. A lot of US movies have soundtracks and sound effects, but most still do not have dialogue, and it would take most other countries a few years to either import or catch up to Hollywood in film technology.

Movies of 1927

1. Wings
1. Metropolis
3. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
4. The Jazz Singer
5. The General
6. The Cat and the Canary
7. The Lodger
7. My Best Girl
9. La Sirene des tropiques
10. It
10. Romance of the Western Chamber
10. Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness
13. Berlin: Die Symphonie der Großstadt

Movie List for 1928
The Circus - Charlie Chaplin Comedy
La Chute de la maison usher - French movie based on Poe's story "The Fall of the House of Usher"
The Crowd - Oscar Nominated Drama
Easy Virtue - Alfred Hitchcock Drama
Four Sons - John Ford WWI Drama
In Old Arizona - Western
Laugh, Clown, Laugh - Lon Chaney
La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc - French movie about Joan of Arc
The Man Who Laughs - Paul Leni Horror
The Mysterious Lady - Greta Garbo romance
Speedy - Harold Lloyd comedy
Spione - Fritz Lang Thriller
Steamboat Bill, Jr. - Buster Keaton comedy
Street Angel - Oscar Winning Drama
Tempest - John Barrymore Drama
The Wind - Western starring Lillian Gish
A Woman of Affairs - Greta Garbo Drama

17 movies on the list for 1928. One reason for the increase in number of movies is that there are a lot of good ones out there now. I had a pretty tough time getting the list down to 17. Secondly, I now have TiVo, and several of the films above have been saved to my TiVo already. In fact, TCM had a Greta Garbo day today, so I have a lot of her films now saved to my TiVo (soon to be saved to my PC). Thirdly, a couple of the above are on YouTube.

The plan is to keep it to about 10 movies rented from Netflix, plus whatever I can record through TiVo or can find on YouTube. I plan on keeping my TiVo working overtime anytime they play a movie within several years of where I am. Right now I am recording every movie that is from 1928 to 1935, moving it to my PC and saving them on DVDs.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote