View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #203
BYU 14
Coordinator

Great Season Sen and with quite a few kids coming back you should reallly reap the rewards next year.

I will comment on the All-Star thing. In the 3 states I have coached (Utah, California and Arizona) they don't have Football All-Star games thank god. To me they are simply a bad idea in any sport. One of my sons was a pretty good Baseball player growing up and made All-Stars a few times....After the first year I never wanted him to be part of it again it was so political and just seemed to bring out the worst in parents, like it was life or death.

I always asked him if he really wanted to do it, hoping he would say no but he never did and I would never tell him he couldn't, but I was never crazy about the whole process. I remember one year in Utah I found out one of the coaches was unable to make the selection meeting and he sent a Mom with his nominees. One of the Coaches told me that all she did was argue for her child, who was probably the 5th best player on his team if I remember correctly. They eventually just put him on the team, ahead of two of his teammates who were better in their opinions just to shut her up because she would not let it go.

Anyway, I digress, good job with a young team and I look forward to seeing what you do with them next season.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote