View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #310
Radii
Head Coach

March 10, 2013

Ohio (15-12, 9-6 MAC) at Buffalo (16-12, 10-5 MAC)

We played a very tough game with Buffalo at home, losing by 3 earlier in the season.

Scouting

PG Clark Clement – SO – 69 OVR – 90 speed but 74 quickness. Very good passer, good defender (83). 82 close/67 med/72 3, not great but he'll make shots if open. 5.6 ppg/6.3 apg this year.

SG Terrence Adingono – SR – 70 OVR – Great speed (88), very good shooter from all over (82 close/78 med/77 3). Cooper will stick to him like glue hopefully. Not a great defender(79). Only averaging 6.9 ppg as they go inside more often.

SF Brendon Goodson – SR – 76 OVR - 6'6”, great hustle(93) and strength for a SF (73). He's got a very good midrange shot (77) and is outstanding in traffic(85). Not as good off the dribble(78) so it'll be interesting to see how strong he is at attacking the basket. A 68 3 point rating is something we like to see. Averaging 10.7 ppg

PF Garrett Dearman – SR – 76 OVR – Average on the boards, above average in the post and great inside (92 close/88 in traffic). Very strong(83) and a good leaper for a big man. He's only 6'7”. He leads Buffalo with 18.5 ppg and has been a true offensive force.

C Elton Falls – FR – 74 OVR – Only 6'7” so we should have an edge here. Just average on the boards (78 off/77 def). He's an outstanding post prescence (81 post offense/85 post defense) and that will give us a lot of problems. 88 close range/86 in traffic makes him a big scoring threat too. His height is the main thing we have going for us. 7.5 ppg/6.2 rpg.

Very little development for Buffalo over the last month+. In the first game, their SF, Goodson, came up big in the 2nd half, pushing them to the win. Cooper had a huge game for us, the man guarding him in man defense, Adingono, is not a great defender. Cooper will look for another big game today.

They lack guard depth so hopefully our pressing defense will wear them down.

Half
Time
OHIO
BUF
Notes
12:00
This game is starting out just like our last meeting. Neither team has led by more than 3 so far, 3 or 4 lead changes already. Cooper leads us with 5 I believe. I've gotten it into Sessoms and Delic multiple times with very little success. They each have buckets on offensive boards but nothing at all posting up their men. Backups are in.
10:30
Lamkin draws foul #2 on Dearman and earns himself a 3 point play. Lamkin against their poor SG defenders seems to be our best offensive option with this backup squad.
5:50
I call a timeout to get my starters back in. Lamkin didn't do much else on offense, but I did get two three pointers from Flowers.
3:30
A 9-0 run. We haven't even taken a shot. Shot clock violation and three turnovers in a row lead to 4 straight Buffalo baskets, a 3 point play coming on this most recent one. Buffalo's crowd is going nuts and I call a timeout to settle my guys.
2:05
After a missed open 3 and a contested drive by Cooper, we finally get a bucket to end this run as Cooper makes an open 3. That was 11-0 for Buffalo, ugh.
1:55
Cooper picks up foul #2 and Buffalo gets a 3 point play

HALF
We scored 4 in a row and had it 38-33 with the ball, but turned it over on our final two possessions of the half. We trail 40-33. As long as we get off to an even start to the 2nd half and this momentum Buffalo has is gone we will be ok.

Their star SF, Goodson, has 10 to lead them. Clement(PG) has 8.

like the last game, Cooper has been our only offense. He has 10 and is 4-6(2-3 from 3). Massey only has 2, Delic 4, Sessoms 2... Flowers hit two key 3's off the bench to help. Massey or Delic needs to do something for us to win this.
16:00
They are on fire. Adingono has 7 already and they are fast breaking off every missed shot... I call a timeout. Feels like this one is getting away from us.
12:10
They go up by 18, 60-42, when Cooper runs off 5 straight. After another Buffalo bucket I call a timeout to get our backups into the game. They're really just hitting 3's from everywhere with eveyrone. Lots of jumpers going in, our defense needs to step it up, and again, someone other than Cooper has to be able to score. Massey missed a wide open 3 at the top of the key, delic had a shot blocked inside, lufkin missed what I thought would be an easy basket on a drive, just not going well.
9:30
A 3 from Lamkin and 2's from Danelius and Flowers cut the lead back down to 10.
5:55
We are scoring well but we cannot stop them. I believe we've gone 5 straight possessions now where each team has scored(5 each... 10 total). On the last one they missed a 3, missed a follow but on the 3rd try got a tipin. Very frustrating. I call a timeout to get my starters back in. Its my last timeout.
4:00
We still can't cut it below 10, but not due to them scoring every time down... we force a turnover and Massey misses another wide open 3. Then on the next two plays ina row, Cooper gets to the line, making 1 of 2 each time... So we score 2 where we could have very easily scored 7.
2:35
After allowing a 3, we get 2 a the line from Sessoms, then two straight steals, leading to easy baskets for Cooper and Lufkin. Down by 7.
1:15
We force a miss and after running our offense Cooper is able to get to the basket for his 23rd point of the night. Next play Sessoms gets a block inside and Massey gets to the FT line, making both. Its a 10-0 run for Ohio!
0:39
After another miss by Buffalo, we find Delic inside for 2 points, just a 1 point game now with 40 left.

I want to foul one of their big men, so I wait 15 seconds or so til its out of their guards hands to call for the foul. I then find out that we've only committed 4 fouls... oops. So we have to foul a few more times to get them into the bonus. They make 1, miss the 2nd, and we have the ball with about 12 seconds left, down 2. I go where else but to Cooper, he attacks the basket and draws a foul. He's about a 62% free throw shooter. First one is good, 2nd is no good and they rebound. That puts us down 1, with about 6 seconds left. They miss the front end, Sessoms rebounds, throws an outlet pass which gets tipped. We recover, I get it to Cooper but he has to try a 28 footer or so with someone in his face, and its not good.

I usually have timeouts left at the end of games. One of the rare times I didn't, I desparately needed one.

Buffalo 80
Ohio 79

Adingono is the hero for Buffalo today with 23 points. Goodson scored 12 and was solid too.

Massey: 6 points/3 assists
Cooper: 24 points
Lufkin: 6 points
Delic: 9 points/9 boards
Sessoms: 6 points/5 boards

Flowers: 13 points
Lamkin: 8 points

Massey is really killing me lately. 1-7 today, 0-3 from 3. I have to get more out of him. His confidence is fine, but his shot has just been horribly off for a few games now.

House's injury really looms large with Massey falling off the map. House was a great compliment to Cooper and good for 15 points most games. I expected when he got hurt that Massey would just become a bigger part of the offense, but instead, he's become a non-existant part of the offense.

Last edited by Radii : 03-14-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote