Old 04-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #178
sabotai
General Manager

Speedy (1928)

Directed by: Ted Wilde
Starring: Harold Lloyd, Ann Christy, Bert Woodruff
Length: 86 min
Genre: Comedy

A bit odd to watch a movie based on stopping technological progress...in the 1920s. The movie is about trying to save the last horse-drawn trolley in New York. It's actually a bit weird to think that the "subway" used to be horse-drawn trolleys....

Speedy (Harold Lloyd) can't seem to hold down a job. He starts off the movie as a soda jerk, but loses the job after a day. The reason is because he can't stop calling in to get the latest scores for the baseball game (yes...using the telephone to get the latest scores....one thing that watching silent movies has done for me is they have made me appreciate technology so much more....ok, back to the review). After spending the day with his girl at Coney Island, Speedy gets a job driving a cab.

Speeedy ends up picking up Babe Ruth in his cab. Ruth has a pretty lengthy cameo. Speedy nearly kills Ruth as he rushes him to the stadium for his game, but Ruth invites Speedy to watch the game. Ruth was actually a big fan of Lloyd's.

Speedy's girl's grandfather runs a horse-drawn trolley, and he is being pushed out by someone trying to take over all of the routes and eliminate the horse-drawn trolleys through a loophole in the contract. When his girl's grandfather is unable to run his route, it's up to Speedy to save the day! (which he, of course, does in the most hilarious way possible).

There were a few lulls in this movie, but overall, one of Lloyd's best. All of the major sequences were incredibly funny, from the opening scene of him being a soda jerk to the attampt to run the route to save his girl's grandfather's horse-drawn trolley. This ends up as one of my favorite Harold Lloyd films.

It also ends our journey through the silents of the comedian Harold Lloyd. After this, he would make a handful of talkie comedies, starting with 1929's "Welcome Danger". But the IMDB User Ratings for his talkie comedies are all a full point lower than the ratings for his silent comedies. Looks like the transition from silent to sound isn't too kind to Harold Lloyd.

My Rating: 9/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.8/10 (751 votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote