View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 PM   #38
Blade
College Prospect

John was sitting in the conference room, waiting for our meeting to start, when I walked in and tossed an issue of the Oakland Tribune sports section down in front of him.

“Did you read this, Mack? They are talking about the loss against San Diego. They are actually suggesting that someone had purposely sabotaged that elevator to keep Moss and Jordan out of the game. They have no evidence, it is just a suggestion, but they are not making any comments on who they think may have done it.”

Mackey looked up at me and had a little smirk.

“What are you suggesting, Bear?”

“I am not suggesting anything, personally, Mack. But, our last meeting was a little strange. Did you have anything to do with this? I mean, we want the team to lose, or at least keep fan support down, but to openly risk something like this? If we were ever found out…”

“Bear, we are friends. We have been friends for a long time. I am not going to even answer that question. Now, half the season is over. Let’s see where we are.”

I shook my head and sat down. I knew that he had to have been involved. While I wanted everything to go well and be able to move the team, I was starting to question the length that Mack would go to see that happen. I took a deep breath, trying to compose myself, and opened my folder.

“Well, we are 5-3, and thanks to the last game, we are tied with San Diego for the division. The upcoming schedule is against some teams that we can beat, so that is cause for concern. Our offence is definitely the strength of this team, and can outscore other teams regardless of how bad our defence is playing. We are ranked 5th in rushing yardage, and first in passing yardage. Collins is rated first in passing yards and tied for second in passing touchdowns. He is also fourth in QB rating. And, well, have you seen what Jordan and Moss have been doing?”

Mack shook his head. “I know that they have been doing well. That is about the extent of it.”

“Even with the game they missed, they are still the top in yardage at their positions. Jordan is about 70 yards above the number two player. Moss, though, is putting up insane numbers. As of right now, he has 1069 yards receiving. That is around 420 yards more than the number two receiver! As of right now, including the game he has missed, he is on pace to shatter the single season receiving yards record!”

Mack groaned. “Well, that should make trading him easier to do from the standpoint of finding a partner, but the fans will definitely not like that.”

“True, but will we care if things are in place to move the team? I think the real issue is that if he is pursuing the record late in the year, we may draw more fans then we want. That said, our defence is plain bad, and I am hoping that will be enough to cost us games. We are in the bottom half of the league in yards against for both passing and rushing, and I cannot see us getting much better. Our linebacker, Clark, is having a decent year though. He is currently fifth in the league in tackles. Oh, and apparently Shank isn’t getting much discipline out of the team, as we are fifth in the league for most penalties.”

“Ok, so, you are saying that things can still go either way, correct?”

“Yah, Mack, it could go either way. But, I would put my money on this team winning more than it will lose. I think we need to prepare by putting together a stadium offer that the city has no choice but to refuse.”

Mack smiled. “Don’t worry about that. I have that under control.”

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote