View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #169
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Awesome! Congrats.

I agree about eliminating the cheat days, at least until you've gotten used to eating the way you know you're going to need to eat from now on and are better prepared to handle it. And I wouldn't give yourself a cheat "day," either. I'm just now getting comfortable with adding back things I took away from myself while I was losing weight, but the way I'm doing it is not, "I really miss BBQ, so I'm going to give myself a "cheat" tonight by going to an all you can eat BBQ place." The one thing I'm learning is that it's all about combining portion control with frequent eating. You have to do both. So if I decide to treat myself to pizza, I'll eat 2 pieces, tops, but make sure that I've had a decent snack 2-3 hours before and follow it up with another snack/meal 2-3 after.

The way I'm setting up my diet now is to eat 5-6 meals 2-4 hours apart. It's what I've always heard and never followed, but it really seems to be the best way to do it. I'm eating about 300-350 calories for breakfast, a mid-morning snack around 200 calories, a 350-500 calorie lunch, another 200 calorie snack, a 400-500 calorie dinner, and a 150-200 calorie evening snack. That's somewhere between 1700 and 2000 calories, which I hope will help me maintain my weight. If not, I can adjust up and down to compensate, but the structure will remain in place. What I don't want to do is decide I'm going to cheat one day, cut out the healthy snacks/lunch to make room for the "cheat" dinner, and eat half a pizza or a huge bowl of ice cream or whatever it is you want that you can't have. Instead, having eaten constantly throughout the day, you'll be far more satisfied with a small portion of pizza or a cup of ice cream than you realize.

That's not to say the transition won't be tough, but the light is finally coming on for me and I now realize this is the only way for me to keep the weight off long-term.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote