View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #181
NevStar
High School Varsity

Starting Weight (1/1/07): 445
Last Week's Weight: 426
Current Weight (1/29): 424 (-2)
Total Weight Lost: 21

I'm fairly sure this reading was a little high. I've been very healthy this whole week. I skipped a Friday night workout & deferred a Saturday night workout to Sunday morning, because I had a migrane, but overall it worked very well. Judging from other times I weighed myself during the week, I was expecting about a -6 or -7 loss this week. That's a problem with using one snapshot to represent an entire week's worth of progress.

I have a doctor who recommends weighing yourself daily (at the same time each day) to "quickly detect any problems." I think that's counter-productive. I gained 6 lbs in one day (clearly this is water weight, because I only ate 2100 calories the day before). If I wasn't seeing the big picture, I could easily get discouraged at this. Numbers are good for quantitative feedback, but use other numbers besides weight, too: your waist measurement, the number of holes on your belt you've gone in, the number of minutes you can run without getting winded, even your resting heart rate. I know all of these are improving, so I don't care so much about the weight.